www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Local PHP Advice Please

Local PHP Advice Please

Hello All,

Been playing around with C# for a while now but just cannot get away from years of HTML and CSS just love it, so gone back to it.

Been thinking about running a local server setup so I can use PHP etc. (Never used PHP before, looking forward to learning it).

I have an old windows XP laptop that does not connect to the internet (shame to waste it).

Can I set it up to run a local php site. I would want to pull and add data on a daily basis using php for the front end.

If so suggestions on software needs would be much appreciated.

Henry

Easiest way is to use one of the installers that set up an Apache/PHP/MySQL environment. I like Wampserver for Windows, other prefer XAMPP (which also supports other non-windows platforms), and there are 1 or 2 other fairly popular options.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for the reply NogDog,
    Can one of these setups be used on a permanent basis or just for development?

Henry

Development only.

you are advised that any development would benefit from copying the environment your development will sit on.

for example, on my host server its Linux and my site path is

/sites/domainname/htdocs/

and my local machine is a windows machine and I set up a path that mimicked that path

c:\sites\domainname\htdocs\

I did have a Linux PC but stopped using it for several reasons, the most annoying one being that the Apache server was very cranky and I got that hacked off with it I ditched the whole setup and have had to recently ditch the XAMPP set up because it has been nannied in to oblivion and getting help wasn't forthcoming so I set up Abyss Web Server and installed PHP which works a treat.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information