www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Finding a program that can help with data - calling a parameter from many - help

Finding a program that can help with data - calling a parameter from many - help

Hello!

I have a task given to me by my boss, and I am in need to impress, and also - puzzled.

We have a huge list of data which was downloaded to an excel file.

It contains the following:

date, first name, last name, address, state, zip, money given, way it was given, organization.

Ok.

Now, my boss wants to be able to "pull" a certain parameter (or information).

for example: - on date X, donated more than $10, from state Y, from organization Z.

And then we can see the "result".

Do you guys know of a program that can help?

Any advice (ANY!) will be so appreciated.

Thanks a million!

It's hard to say for sure without actually knowing more of the down-in-the-weeds details, but one likely scenario I might pursue would be to load the data into a "real" database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, whatever). There are a number of ways to go about this, from ready-made 3rd-party tools to simply saving the spreadsheet as a CSV file, then importing that directly into the database or creating a script (e.g. with PHP, Python, whatever) to read the CSV lines and insert them into the DB.

If the DB design is decent, once you've imported the data, then it should be relatively simple to come up with SQL queries (for anyone with decent SQL skills, of course ), to extract whatever data you need.

And don't forget that Excel has its own built-in scripting language that you might be able to leverage, if it can directly support what you need to do. (I've not really worked with it, so don't know for sure what its capabilities are.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    It's hard to say for sure without actually knowing more of the down-in-the-weeds details, but one likely scenario I might pursue would be to load the data into a "real" database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, whatever). There are a number of ways to go about this, from ready-made 3rd-party tools to simply saving the spreadsheet as a CSV file, then importing that directly into the database or creating a script (e.g. with PHP, Python, whatever) to read the CSV lines and insert them into the DB.

If the DB design is decent, once you've imported the data, then it should be relatively simple to come up with SQL queries (for anyone with decent SQL skills, of course ), to extract whatever data you need.

And don't forget that Excel has its own built-in scripting language that you might be able to leverage, if it can directly support what you need to do. (I've not really worked with it, so don't know for sure what its capabilities are.)
    Wow! I am so appreciative of this answer. Thank you so much for taking the time.

Unfortunately I have no experience in SQL and Database languages ):
    I am willing to pay someone though. If you know of a place or a person.

Regarding excel, I have someone looking into that. But he still did not give me an answer whether Excel is powerful enough for such request.

Thread Information