www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Joomla on subdomain - affecting main domain which is html?

Question Joomla on subdomain - affecting main domain which is html?

I want to test Joomla on a subdomain of my main domain. The main site is built in html, and until I've decided on a CMS I don't want to risk messing up the main domain. So if I install Joomla on a subdomain, will that affect the main domain?

Thanks for any input!

You can subscribe on dot tk in order to get a free domain.
    Then, you can manage your new domain to point on a subfolder of your hosting account which you have Joomla installation.
    Web Development Art On Web

You can safely install Joomla on a subdomain of your own website. When you're ready to move it to your primary domain, you can find tutorials online that will help you.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Helena115 View Post
    I want to test Joomla on a subdomain of my main domain. The main site is built in html, and until I've decided on a CMS I don't want to risk messing up the main domain. So if I install Joomla on a subdomain, will that affect the main domain?
    I don't think that making some related experiments on a subdomain may influence to the main website.

Helena115: I'm curious how this worked out for you, because I was thinking about doing the same thing, trying Joomla in a subdomain that is. Especially since I've always hand coded HTML sites, I'm both new and very leery about PHP programming, especially after trying wordpress and finding a simple thing like using GIF was causing the image transparencies and pallet to get mangled, due to a flaw in something called the PHP GD library. I did find a workaround, but the experience proved to me it would be wise to develop in a private area of my hosting service, so any problems with PHP could be resolved, and I'd have less chance of surprises when I migrate the site from my subdomain back to the root. So did this work out for you?

I've also been concerned that wordpress interface for adding media to pages, apparently following some new guidelines which I think are plain STUPID, uses full paths to images and graphics instead of relative paths. So I had to get around that too, but you can see where that practice would just make migration more of a pain. Did you find Joomla gave you a similar headache?

As you might guess from this question, I'm here because having tried WORDPRESS as a time saving alternative to replace my HTML site, I've come away feeling its wasted more of my time than its saved. So now I'm considering Joomla instead.! :-)

Thread Information