www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to save entries of a html form?

Hybrid View

Talking How to save entries of a html form?

I have a form on my website:

HTML Code:
    <form>
          Email:<input name="input" type="text" id="Email"/><br/>
    <input value="Log In" name="Log In"  type="button" id="Log-In" /></form>
    I want to be able to store and be able to see all the emails that are sent from the form.

Does anyone know how I can go about doing this?

You'll need a script on a server to do exactly what you describe. If you don't do your own programming, it would be easiest to just use a common formmail script and record the Emails on your own computer.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Can you point me in the direction of getting a script on a server?

Quote Originally Posted by maxmitch View Post
    Can you point me in the direction of getting a script on a server?
    http://www.hotscripts.com

I'm going to gloss over some details to keep this simple, but a script is like any other file on your server. You upload the script file to the server with your FTP program. Then when the server receives an HTTP request for the script, it notices that it needs to be executed like a program instead of simply sent to the user "as-is" like an HTML file would be.

Most of the scripts that you'll find these days are written in a programming language called "PHP". You should consult the documentation for your hosting service/server to see if they support PHP (which is almost a certainty unless you're on a free host), and if they have any special requirements or restrictions. On the whole, you should be able to use any conventional formmail script. Formmail scripts are generally designed to be used with feedback or contact forms on websites. They just gobble up the <form> data submitted by the user and send it to a designated Email address. You'll have to edit the script with a text file editor so that it knows your Email address and, possibly, some information about your website. Then just upload the script to the server and set the "action" attribute of your <form> tag to the URL for the script file. Good luck!
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Might help:

Form2Email.net (free - Designed to keep away spam. Your e-mail address is hidden in the script. Can be used to send almost any form, and if required, keeps a log of all e-mails. Supports required fields, SMTP, multiple e-mails, auto responder and file upload.): http://www.form2email.net/
    =======================================================================================
    Might just have the form results also sent to any email address of your choosing:

How to submit a form to multiple email addresses: http://webdesign.about.com/b/2008/01...-addresses.htm

Better forms will include a lot of "hidden" information like IP address being used.

Thread Information