www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Canonical URL issue

Canonical URL issue

Got this email from an enterprising marketeer

You have what€™s called a Canonical URL issue in your website, which means that Google€™s bot will see two versions of your homepage. What does that mean to you? This means that Google is dividing the authority amongst the two pages, which are actually a single page. Look, I live in US so you know I€™m not a scammer, well at least my wife doesnt think so, but that€™s another story.

Back to the topic at hand€¦ So in effect, the power of your homepage is being reduced by half i’s authority instead of the full amount! I don€™t expect you to believe me, however, I would LOVE the chance to sit down and discuss it. Just to note, YES I do speak English and on United States soil! (Another inside joke for business owners who get lots of telemarketing calls.)

You can learn more about this issue here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzA_VBHtuCk

Your web developer can easily correct this issue by making a 301 redirect, however with all do respect to them, if they were that good they would have caught this simple error a long time ago.
    I probably read a reference link here about how it was good practice to include something like

Code:
    <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.josephdenaro.com/index.html">
    <style type="text/css" media="handheld"  >
    <!--/* Smartphones (portrait & landscape) */
    @media only screen and (min-device-width: 320px) and (max-device-width: 480px) {  } --> </style>
    What do you think? Can someone advise and/or point to some references.
    Last edited by auntnini; 09-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information