www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Canonical URL issue

Threaded View

Canonical URL issue

Got this email from an enterprising marketeer

You have whats called a Canonical URL issue in your website, which means that Googles bot will see two versions of your homepage. What does that mean to you? This means that Google is dividing the authority amongst the two pages, which are actually a single page. Look, I live in US so you know Im not a scammer, well at least my wife doesnt think so, but thats another story.

Back to the topic at hand So in effect, the power of your homepage is being reduced by half i’s authority instead of the full amount! I dont expect you to believe me, however, I would LOVE the chance to sit down and discuss it. Just to note, YES I do speak English and on United States soil! (Another inside joke for business owners who get lots of telemarketing calls.)

You can learn more about this issue here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzA_VBHtuCk

Your web developer can easily correct this issue by making a 301 redirect, however with all do respect to them, if they were that good they would have caught this simple error a long time ago.
    I probably read a reference link here about how it was good practice to include something like

Code:
    <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.josephdenaro.com/index.html">
    <style type="text/css" media="handheld"  >
    <!--/* Smartphones (portrait & landscape) */
    @media only screen and (min-device-width: 320px) and (max-device-width: 480px) {  } --> </style>
    What do you think? Can someone advise and/or point to some references.
    Last edited by auntnini; 09-11-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information