www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: learning CSS

learning CSS

I know very little about HTML. I would like to learn how to use Cascading Style Sheets. Can someone direct me to some good sites that have some helpful tutorials using CSS?

Here is a pretty good link

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/intro.html
    // Stefan Huszics

Is there something in particular you wanted to know, or just in general?
    Mortfiles.com - You friendly guide to webmaking.

CSS

Thanks Mortekai for responding...I just need general information on CSS for html

Thanks Stefan for the link. (That looks like a good place to start.)

learning basic CSS

Another great site is http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp.

It covers CSS 1, 2, and 3 completely and has lots of examples that you can alter and reload the browser window so you can play around with them. And it's free. It covers the basics and most of the advanced stuff.

Once you get a little more experience under your belt with CSS, head over to www.alistapart.com for articles that target specific issues concerning CSS, HTML, and XHTML.

css links

Thank you Greg for the two great CSS links. I just checked it out and the site looks like a good place for a beginner to start. I hope I will be able to add my own style sheets soon to my personal website.

Another good resource showing applications of CSS, apart from the Technical Recommendations: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/

even better gurly

go to your local library and check out the book html for dummies, no disrespect intened, I dont know what these guys will say but I will admit that I have read my share of those books. Not only are they easy to learn from they provide you with examples you can use, plus once you pretty much have the book conquered, it becomes a nifty refrence. Then once you get the basics then you can go to other websites and right click the middle of the page or just anywere within the borders and scroll down to "view source" this will bring up that developers codes and you can select all and copy and then paste that code in your editor, from there you can dissect the code, intervertinly checking back to the explorer to see what happened, that way you learn by trial and error, which in my opinion is the best way!

Hope that helps.
    Code One

Re: even better gurly

Originally posted by Code One
    go to your local library and check out the book html for dummies, no disrespect intened, I dont know what these guys will say but I will admit that I have read my share of those books. Not only are they easy to learn from they provide you with examples you can use, plus once you pretty much have the book conquered, it becomes a nifty refrence.
    The only problem with this is that IME the vast majority of these books are filled with errors and proprietary code.

That is the main reason I usually recomend people to read the actual HTML & CSS specs. They also have a lot of good examples, but don't have very many errors and additionally have greate crossreferencing.

The specs are available as full downloads if you don't have a permanent/flatrate internet connection.

For those people that can learn by reading at the computer, they are a really greate way of learning correct HTML.
    // Stefan Huszics

Re: Re: even better gurly

Originally posted by Stefan
    The only problem with this is that IME the vast majority of these books are filled with errors and proprietary code.

That is the main reason I usually recomend people to read the actual HTML & CSS specs. They also have a lot of good examples, but don't have very many errors and additionally have greate crossreferencing.

The specs are available as full downloads if you don't have a permanent/flatrate internet connection.

For those people that can learn by reading at the computer, they are a really greate way of learning correct HTML.
    I agree with what you are saying they do leave out mass amounts of info, but I still would recommend a newbie to html atleast thumb threw the text, to gain some kind of idea of what they are getting into, I feel that yes there are alot of helpful sites on the net, but not all of them are newbie friendly.

SWEET ASS TUTORIAL

GREAT tutorial here!!!

Mulder's Tutorial

Thread Information