www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: First job interview - Front end developer

Hybrid View

Question First job interview - Front end developer

Hello. First off, this is a great forum. I wish I had found this site sooner; it seems like a great community.

So, I have been mostly a hobbyist/freelance web developer for about 6 years, mostly working on a small doctor's office website as well as my own projects. My experience is primarily around procedural (not oo) PHP, JavaScript/jQuery, CSS3, etc. I'm very comfortable working with my own code, but it tends to be somewhat disorganized due to the fact that I have never worked on a team, not having to show it to anyone.

I recently decided to pursue this work as a full time career. I recognize that my lack of experience actually working on a team could be a hurdle to me getting a job so I have been searching for entry-level (or even unpaid apprenticeships to help build my experience). I just got a call back for an entry-level paid front-end developer job and an interview is scheduled for next week.

I was hoping for some advice on what I might expect going into this being someone who is comfortable with the code but so new to actually working on a team and actually interviewing for this type of job. I'm very good with people and have interviewed for many other jobs, but not for technical work, so naturally I am very apprehensive about my qualifications. Any thoughts or warnings would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Stress your strong points and never lie about your weak points (though you don't have to bring them up yourself). You can get a lot of bonus points for appearing eager, easy to get along with, honest, and willing (and able) to learn. You can lose as many points by claiming to have a skill that a few deeper questions show that, in fact, you don't. Good web developers are in-demand now (at least in the right market areas), so don't sell yourself too short.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hey, thanks for your thoughts. I don't have many public examples of my work for them to see but I am quite eager to get good at developing on a team. Do you have any examples of interview questions that might pop up? It's for a medium-size firm that does marketing and market research for large companies.

Quote Originally Posted by transpar3nt View Post
    Hey, thanks for your thoughts. I don't have many public examples of my work for them to see but I am quite eager to get good at developing on a team. Do you have any examples of interview questions that might pop up? It's for a medium-size firm that does marketing and market research for large companies.
    I'm a server-side geek myself, but I'd guess there would be questions about cross-device compatibility, and as more and more processing is shifted to the client, good understanding of AJAX along with libraries like jQuery is probably important. But you'll probably learn more by just scanning the more active topics here in the JavaScript and CSS forums to get a feel for what other front-end developers are dealing with.

Oh, and if you'll be involved in the artistic side of things (graphic design and so forth), I'm pretty much the last person to ask.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information