www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Considering domain name for programmer-targeted website

Considering domain name for programmer-targeted website

Hi, Friends!

I'm trying to find a suitable name for my future programming education website. As I see, names like "programmingstudy.com" are usually already bought by resellers.

Is it a good idea to register "programmingstudy.org" in such case or "programming-study.com" for example?

Or it would be better not to kick around the names already taken (even by resellers) and try to invent something more "brand-like"?

In this case, if I invent the name consisting of two words, is it better to write them with dash or without (i.e. "topcoder" or "top-coder")?

Also, surfing around I stick upon abbreviation "progger" for programmer - do I understand correctly that is the word which is not too nice to be used?

P.S. While my project is under development, I use name "MessCoder" (at sourceforge) - but being not native English speaker I am not sure such name would be funny enough and will not have some secondary indecent meaning or accent. Is it so, by the way?
    Last edited by RodionGork; 09-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.

hey bro I had the same problem recently. I am not 100 percent sure how this works as far as from an SEO side of things but I can tell you my experience. for my online store all the names i wanted were taken in the .com so i bought all of the other domains. .net .co etc. after a year of being in business I realized, what is showing up in google when people search is the domain with better SEO. So i learned that the name at the end of the day for searching does not make a difference. what will matter is how SEO friendly the site is. The name of the site will only matter for branding and what ever advertisement your doing that directly effects the name of the site.

for example if i was making a clothing line and i wanted the clothing line brand to be remember then this would be important to have the name in the domain. but if most of my visitors are coming to my site by clicking a link like in google or somewhere on the web then it really doesnt matter what the domain is. It is only going to make a difference that a link to your site pops up first when the user searches for their interest.

Another way to show up higher in the searches is have a name that has been active for a long time. when you have a domain name that has been registered it will show up higher organically which is very important. Anything that helps your SEO organically is very important.

Based on this information im changing the name of my store. instead of competing for a name directly referencing your agenda focus on showing up higher in ranks. Otherwise these people who have been around longer are going to be direct competitors and show up higher then you.
    I think that at the end of the day to save your self the head ache find something that you like and you can get the .com in. preferably something that is already registered and that is good for branding so its not competing with other more established sites in SEO rank. you will lose right out the gates for at least a year. Focus all your attention on making the site very SEO friendly and then advertise your name as a brand not a service. This will not only save you the trouble of an almost losing battle but help you with advertising your business.

I hope this helps, if not sorry for the long read.

Nicholas, Hi!

Thanks a lot for thorough explanations of your views and sharing your experience. I think both are of great help to me - I mean that it is better to learn such things from more experienced people like you, rather than by spending time and efforts and came to the similar conclusions afterwards.

I'will try to concentrate on inventing bit more brand-like name and especially on studying at least basics of SEO ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Thread Information