www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Overwhelmed by demand on my new web application

Hybrid View

Overwhelmed by demand on my new web application

Dear Forum,

I have started a project on my own called e-chat. It turned out that the demand for the online platform is high.

Unfortunately the platform i'm planning to build is too difficult for one person(myself) to maintain both on granular and high(abstract/interface) levels. I cannot keep up with the code changes, so far there is 50,000 lines of code (not much).

I was wondering what are the possible solutions to my problem? I have 400 people registered on the platform so far, with about 20% people log in back at some point after registration. I also have about 5 webmasters who want me to extend the platform so that they can hook it up on their website, which will result in surge of traffic. The business model is simple and in place, of course not yet implemented.

I just don't know what to do. I am 23 and recently graduated, i have no clue how to evolve this platform. Should i go the open-source way? Should i look for a business angel? (i don't want to turn e-chat into yet another money making machine, disregarding peoples' benefits), or should i look for help from fellow software developers paying out part of the equity? Or else?

Kind Regards,

Michael Zyskowski.

hello michael, what you mentioned above is that you are not able to maintain or keep up yourself with the code changes, so what i suggest you here is go and take somebody's help , who has knowledge of that .You can also hire freelancers for your project it would be cheaper.. i won't suggest you to go to some software developer's directly.

Hi Michael,

What you should do depends on your eventual goal. Do you intend to make money off of this app, or do you want it to be a strictly non-profit venture?

If you're fine with making money, expanding and monetizing seems like the natural course of action. You may need some venture capital to get you started, or - if it's really small, and it sounds like it is - simply split potential profits with other programmers that you bring in.

When it comes to the non-profit route, open source is the easiest way to go.

Hi!

Since business-matters were already discussed by colleagues, I only add few words from technical point of view.

You speak of very small number of clients, and if it looks to you that you have trouble even with this amount, perhaps it is time to tell yourself "All right, it was a prototype and now I'd better throw it out and rewrite the matter putting more thought to it".

You did not disclose even basic technical details, so it is hard to tell where are your problems come from.

One of the most important issues before improving or rewriting your app, I think, is thorough studying of many existing similar applications.

Dear All,

Thanks for your replies. I have already contacted a group of friendly software developers and we are just starting negotiating 'work for shares' deal.

Thanks again, your input was really helpful :-)

If you've got any more tips let us know. Cheers!

Thread Information