www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML Site keeps getting hacked

Angry HTML Site keeps getting hacked

I have an older html site that my client likes and gets decent ranking for his keyterms. Daily the code to the site gets hacked and lines of code to links selling things like purses and nike sneakers appear on different pages. If I look at the code page source online I see the hacked code. If I go to the page remotely and look at the code, I don't see it at all. If I upload the old page again, all is good till the next day.

I've changed the password to the admin on the hosting, I've changed the password to the ftp login and installed Avast and SuperSpyware and still daily, I get hacked. What is going on?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all the help I've gotten from these forums and hope I can help someone too someday.

Do you think your host may by injecting the adds?

First, clean up the malware mess and then do one of the following:
    (a)Prevention tips include keeping your site updated with the latest software and patches, creating an account with Google Webmaster Tools to see what's being indexed, keeping tabs on your log files to make sure nothing fishy's going on, etc.
    (b) If your site was hacked for spammy purpose, please visit your reconsideration request page to request reconsideration of your site;
    (c) If your site was serving malware to users, please submit a malware review request on the 'Overview' page of Webmaster Tools.

Hope this helps.
    strad solutionswww.stradsolutions.com

Presumably when you changed the passwords you made them more secure? I.e. Using upper and lower case, numbers and symbols (if supported), and 10+characters (if supported)? If so, your next course of action should be to contact the web host's support. As is mentioned above, if the site is hosted for free, they may be injecting the adverts. If not, their security may be compromised. Either way, you need their help!

Thanks everyone. I have the site set as my homepage so I can monitor it everyday. I was using site malware detection to scan the site to see if it had been attacked again. The crazy thing is, today, I looked at the source of the home page and saw that it had been hacked again. When I ran the software, it detected nothing. It was detecting before now the scans say the site is fine.

The site is not hosted for free but I think it's on old servers. You have to login into a special area if you signed up before 2009. The hosting company says my computer may be hacked. Their control panel is poor and it doesn't have an area where I can see the files on the server with it. It doesn't have many options at all.

If they are getting in through my computer, what I can I do to stop that?

Thanks again, this is so frustrating and violating.

If you're on a shared host, you could possibly be getting hit through someone else's account there (intentionally or via their account being hacked). You might be able to avoid some/most of that by making sure all directories and files have read-only permissions except by your personal login account there, so that they cannot change your files without logging in as you.

It would also be a good idea to contact your web hosting company so they know what to look for.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I went in to Dreamweaver and tried to change the permissions on the remote end. It wouldn't let me do it. I then opened up the files with Filezilla and did it there. It let me change the permissions to 744 (ughhhh, they were set to 777) but when I went back to check the permission after I changed it, they were back to 777.

Directory listing successful
    Command: CWD /
    Response: 250 Directory changed to /
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    Command: SITE CHMOD 744 conepene.html
    Response: 501 SITE option not supported.

WTF, "site option not supported" . Does this mean the hosting won't allow that? Is there a way to set permission for the whole folder? I have to go and don't have time to sit on the call with hosting right now but I'll let you know what they say. Thanks again. Little by little I'm am being so enlightened. Your help and encouragement means a lot right now.

It may be that your FTP user is not the same as your admin user as far as the server is concerned, so you might have to change the permissions via your web site's admin tool.

PS: If your site allows file uploads or creates/writes to files, you may have to give broader write access on specific directories/files involved, as such writes likely get done by the web server user.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks, i'll try that.

Recently one of my sites hosted by DotEasy.com (http://www.auntnini.com) was hacked. It is a site hosted FREE (something DotEasy no longer offers). I contacted the host and they advised me that they had to unload my files to clean up the malware on the server. I then uploaded the files.

I scraped my computer because I was afraid it had been hacked and the portal by which they were doing accessing the site. Even tho I haven't download any back up info back on to my computer, the site got hacked again. That rules out my computer. I just ran a scan it notices that it is Running on: Microsoft-IIS/5.0 . That seems like a really old update. Could this be the reason it's so easily hacked? Tried to change admin password in control panel and it wouldn't allow it. Tried to chat with them and it was down for some reason. InfoQuest is the hosting company. I'm curious to see if I moved it over to a different hosting if I'd ever have the problem again. Client has been with this company way before I was involved with his site. The only issue I have with moving him over is that his email is the Exchange one. It was an issue to get that working with this hosting company. However, I suspect moving him over won't be as painful with a new company. I often use 1&1 or Godaddy. Cheap, I know but I haven't had any problems. Any suggestions for a secure host?

I've not had any problems with Heart Internet.

HTML keeps getting HACKED

To themills4
    I have read your query and the replies you have had so far thoroughly.
    My personal advice to you and those with similar issues is to update anything that is old to someting that is current, and that means your browser as well.
    Your old ISP obviously has not updated it's system and hence you are experiencing a regular hacking fiasco.
    I have been using a FREE webhosting site for years with no adds at all or any other funny business.
    But this webhosting site to be used for FREE is to be used as non-commercial, meaning that you are not making any money from it.
    Having said that, I would recommend the site to you and all others without any hesitation.
    Here it is ..... http://www.freehostia.com/
    Apart from an antivirus program that I use from microsoft which is totally free and works very well, I also use Ad-Aware which is
    an anti malware, anti spyware and antivirus program all wrapped up in one, which takes care of just abou everything including the Registry,
    AniRootKit, and all the other crap that slows your PC down.
    Touch wood, so far in all the years I have not been hacked.
    Hope I have been of some help to you and that your website is working OK now.

Cheers

Thread Information