dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Self-study problem

Self-study problem

Hi guys,

This is my first time on this site and my first post.

So, I started a job recently and have been taken on as an Apprentice I'm young and I've been given these big responsibilities. For example, I have to use Visual studios, know Bootstrap well and much much more. But currently I have to use bootstrap for tasks when assigned. However, I'm struggling so much. I was given last week to watch tutorials on bootstrap (which I've never used) and to start doing actual work this week. I started the actual today but I'm really struggling. My background is really basic HTML and CSS and honestly I'm more stressed than ever. I've been assigned to change the front end of 3 static pages using bootstrap and I can't honestly do it. I'm finding it challenging and don't understand it and have work for it and I'm really unsure of what to do. My lack of knowledge and the high demand of my work which has deadlines is killing me mentally and I don't what to do. Focus on the work or watch tutorials over again? I come home and I'm stuck those two and when I focus on the work, I don't get anything done and when I go for tutorials I feel as if the work won't do itself and got a deadline to meet. What do I do? I really need help

Hi and welcome to the site. Firstly, please do not title your thread "Really need help" or such like. The title should tell us what you problem is. This may sound trivial, but it can be symptomatic of underlying issues, i.e. if you can't even epitomize the issue, do you have the structured kind of intellect that is needed for web development?

Secondly, who is your mentor? If you don't know, FIND OUT. It is vital that you discuss this issue with your mentor sooner rather than later. Otherwise you may find yourself out of a job before you even started!

Thirdly, self-study is not for everyone. Some people, like myself, just need a good reference manual and/or tutorial, and we can take it from there. If we get stuck and can't find the answer ourselves, we will ask for help when needed. Whereas, some people need a more formal learning process, with a higher degree of hand-holding. Which are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Hi and welcome to the site. Firstly, please do not title your thread "Really need help" or such like. The title should tell us what you problem is. This may sound trivial, but it can be symptomatic of underlying issues, i.e. if you can't even epitomize the issue, do you have the structured kind of intellect that is needed for web development?

Secondly, who is your mentor? If you don't know, FIND OUT. It is vital that you discuss this issue with your mentor sooner rather than later. Otherwise you may find yourself out of a job before you even started!

Thirdly, self-study is not for everyone. Some people, like myself, just need a good reference manual and/or tutorial, and we can take it from there. If we get stuck and can't find the answer ourselves, we will ask for help when needed. Whereas, some people need a more formal learning process, with a higher degree of hand-holding. Which are you?
    Really sorry about that. Should've been more considerate when choosing my title. My mentor's this guy who I assigns me tasks and is a developer. I don't know much about him and I do need to know him better. I learn through videos and people showing me when it comes to learning method. A great tutorial really helps but can't find a great Bootstrap 3 video tutorial playlist and I'm bombarded with the 100s of playlists on YouTube. I also tend to stick to long playlists and like videos that don't exceed 40 to 50 videos.

Thread Information