www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Reading values from specific tables in MySQL

Hybrid View

Reading values from specific tables in MySQL

Hi All,

Firstly I'm very very new to php and learning all the time but this particular issue is one I cannot find resources to answer in one clean go.

So I have a MySQL database with several tables. Each table has 3 columns labeled Record_Number, Field, Value. Each table has 97 rows with varying data under each column. I need, for example, to read all the data in say, Table1, in the Field column and Value column and assign a variable to each separate bit if data and then echo them out on a web page.

I know how to connect to the database. What I can't find is a concise way to specify the required table, and read the required data in the rows under the two specific columns, field and Value, and assign them to variables.

I hope this makes sense and would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks in advance

Can you show us you attempt at a query?

All I have so far is the code to connect to the SQL database

require('/home/lfpsorgu/public_html/sql.comp.testing/_priv/param.php');
    $link = mysql_connect($param1,$param2,$param3) or die(mysql_error());

where param.php is a separate file containing the name of the database ($param1), the username ($param2) and password ($param3) to connect.

If i search google on how to specify a table within the database to read from, the results are pretty thin and assume the reader is more advanced in php than I am.

This is more than a php question - it is an sql/MySQL question. In order to obtain data from a sql database, php users rely on the ability to write queries using the sql language/syntax. You need to do some (easy) research on sql. I did a simple search and found this starting tutorial. Perhaps it is just what you need.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...0).aspx?ppud=4

Thanks for the link but it doesn't help. I need to read data values from a specific table in a MySQL database so I can echo them out on a web page. And all in php.

Quote Originally Posted by eyetrance View Post
    Thanks for the link but it doesn't help. I need to read data values from a specific table in a MySQL database so I can echo them out on a web page. And all in php.
    Which means you are going to have to use a query written in SQL, which is then executed within your PHP script via the mysql_query() function. If you are going to do database programming, you will need to learn some SQL. (E.g.: see the examples on the PHP manual page for mysql_query().)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

the link is EXACTLY what you need. You don't understand the relationship between a database and php. SQL is the link and you have to learn some in order to do this thing you want to do.

The most basic SELECT syntax looks like this:

SELECT expressions_and_columns FROM table_name
    [WHERE some_condition_is_true]
    [ORDER BY some_column [ASC | DESC]]
    [LIMIT offset, rows]

and try out with the below example, it has worked fine for me:

$result = mysql_query('SELECT...');

$data = array();
    while(($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))) {
    $data[] = $row['columnName'];
    }

Hope this helps.