www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Trying to build a business to get experience- Need a mentor to give me great advice

Trying to build a business to get experience- Need a mentor to give me great advice

Iím finishing up my Bachelorís degree for Web Technologies and am trying to find a job in the web development field. I would be so grateful if I could get some guidance in this area. I go a semester without using code, and I donít do this as a career yet, so I donít retain it as well because Iím not doing it. I did pick up a website to take over for a local non profit and that will give me experience. I need to rebuild this from scratch or even just build other websites so that I have a portfolio or websites to use for experience. All jobs I see posted want experience, in the range of 3 years. I donít have that, so I am starting a web design/development biz on my own so I can figure all this out. I need to do the skills so I donít lose the skills. I have been hoping to find someone to ďmentorĒ me or guide me in a direction so that I can build a successful business. Is there anyone that would be willing to take on such a project? I really want to build this business and eventually move on from my current job in data management. I also need advice as to good websites to go to and the best books to explore, but itís getting overwhelming. ANY help would be so much appreciated.

Sorry this was so lengthy but Iím so frustrated at this point. I have an education that I canít even utilize and I really enjoy doing this, just don't have the resources of people to ask or where to start.

Thank you!

You might consider finding a small company who is hiring and offer yourself as a part-time unpaid apprentice. It would be good for your resume and build experience. As for good websites to visit, I like Smashing Magazine and A List Apart. It's always good to listen to podcsts on various web-dev subjects. Depending on your interests, I like the CSS-focused ShopTalk. There are many others out there too. They're good to listen to while going for walks or while driving, just to keep your mind on the newest stuff.

Also, I have always heard how helpful it is to do things like attend web technologies Meetup groups. I'm about to go to my first one. I imagine this helps with staying current and staying comfortable interacting with other developers, for when you do get a job eventually. Being somewhat anti-social, I hope it won't be too bad for me haha.

Good luck!

Building a business, in any field, requires entrepreneurship and stickability. Many successful entrepreneurs learnt the hard way through bankruptcy and insolvency before they made it big.

Hi dsoflin,
    Are you good at designing?
    I have a quick project which may be of help to build up your portfolio.
    Send me your email address

Thread Information