www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Reading/Tailing a log file

Reading/Tailing a log file

Hello WebDevelopers

i need to show a console log on my website, and I would like to know how to read/tail a text file and show it with styling,

my first thoughts was to pass the text into an array line by line, and I would like to ouput every entry in a <div class"something"></div> tag. and on top of that i would like to apply a different class to any line including the words [ERROR] or [WARNING]

I would like to end up with having the last 50 lines or so shown on the site, and then have all errors and warning lines marked with red

thx in advance

This is essentially a server side problem. Are you using server side javascript as in node.js? Or is your request based on how to process the data after its been sent to the browser? If so, how is this accomplished? Are you using AJAX, ioSocket, or what?

How is the data being sent to the browser?
    Last edited by Tcobb; 10-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcobb View Post
    This is essentially a server side problem. Are you using server side javascript as in node.js? Or is your request based on how to process the data after its been sent to the browser? If so, how is this accomplished? Are you using AJAX, ioSocket, or what?

How is the data being sent to the browser?

The log file is a local file located in /var/www
    i've considered using AJAX, but i also stumbled upon something concerning ioSocket, but i have no idea which one to use.

Thread Information