www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help needed - Template protection/advtertisement

Question Help needed - Template protection/advtertisement

Hello,
    I'm a web designer with some ideas but not sure how to approach them.
    I make free web templates, just basic HTML and CSS templates and I'm looking for an idea/help for a way to have my templates display a small ad/copyright within the template that can't be easily edited or removed from the template to promote my company. But at the same time isn't intrusive such as a popup ad etc.
    One example idea I have, was to have the css prehosted for them, leaving them with the html file to be edited as necessary. Within the CSS file, I had a few certain divs that would hold a simple background image with the name of my company, and be displayed within the template.

Another idea/example of what i'm trying to achieve as close as possible without going overboard.
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to websites to examples but I'll name a few of what I mean. Wixdotcom is a website you can design websites free, and after you do so, they put a little clickable banner on the website saying it was designed free from their website, and click here to make your own. This is basically what I want to achieve but in the most simple form. Basically a way I can host a small portion of the template which will be hosted on my server that will show some sort of advertisement back to my website within each free template I provide. I hope this is a bit more clear of what I'm trying to achieve.

Any ideas, comments, examples I would much appreciate. I really don't want all my hard work being giving out for free to be just left without any sort of acknowledgment to my company. Thanks in advanced.

-Rich

Whatever you do to protect your copyright can be circumvented by a knowledgeable person. That said, the type of person using your templates are likely to be less-experienced. What you might consider is to write the templates as PHP include files. The users could amend the PHP include files but would not have easy access to the PHP master file on your website, which would build the web pages dynamically, including your copyright info. I haven't tested this, so it is only a general idea, but it might prove both sufficient and workable.

Below is an example of code that Google may send you to add Google ads on your website:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    google_ad_client = "pub-999999955555666666AD";
    google_alternate_color = "6699FF";
    google_ad_width = 120;
    google_ad_height = 600;
    google_ad_format = "120x600_as";
    google_ad_type = "text_image";
    //2007-09-13: AntiguaFlights.info
    google_ad_channel = "33666555999";
    google_ui_features = "rc:6";
    //-->
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
    </script>

You can also go through the below link:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...-template.html

and i have gone through wix.com for template view and edit and i prefer its fine.
    Hope this helps.
    strad solutionswww.stradsolutions.com

Good job,I appreciate your work because i have the same problem,but your post solve my problem.Thanks for sharing information,your information increase my knowledge.

The problem with pre-hosting the CSS for is that they could just take a duplicate of your organised CSS, make a duplicate regional to the design and eliminate the advertisement anyway.

Thread Information