www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: An Oldie but a Newbie at this Forum

An Oldie but a Newbie at this Forum

Hi One and All
    Trust you all are having a great day, and not letting anything get you down, especially your online computing experience.
    I joined this site a week ago and have found a number of issues here that no one seems to have mentioned or done anything about it.
    How does one get to send a PM (private message) to the administrator of this forum !
    Why are there so many unneccessary spamming popups when trying to post a reply, or add a new thread or just trying to get into
    another area of the forum ? Perhaps the other members have not found this to be an issue, but I find it terribly annoying that a site
    with such a grandeous name like " Webdeveloper.com " which is here to help everyone with all matters relating to web developing,
    have other hidden scripts written into the Source Code. I have had several popups such as " Congratulations, you are a lucky winner
    of a new iPad " or " You do not have Java installed and need to update " What is all this ?
    This is the Coffee Lounge where members can come together and discuss I guess any and everything.
    Hence the reason for me being here right now and hoping that someone will take notice of what I have mentioned.
    When I finally go to make this post, I find myself having to use the horizontal scrollbar like a panoramic slide show just to get to the SUBMIT button.
    Anyway, I've had my say.
    Have a good day.

Cheers

PS. The extra buttons for font size, colours and the rest do not appear to be working either.
    A number of pages appear to be fraught with errors as well.

The ads pay the bills for the web site which in turns allows you to join the site free of charge.

Private Message - like signatures - require that you be a member here for a while... You can always use the feedback forum.

You can adjust your monitors resolution to avoid having to scroll.

The extra buttons work well when used properly. HIGHLIGHT a word and then click the B to make that word Bold. etc....

Thanks for the reply to my queries.

I am aware that majority of forums have ads that pay for the bills.
    Those forums only ask members to donate money in order to keep the site running.
    In spite of the thousands of members on those site, only but a few who have money donate and are made VIP members.
    Unfortunately I belong to those vast majority that do not donate as I am a retired pensioner.
    However, I make up for it by posting information regularly on the forum that help the members to resolve whatever issues they may have or are experiencing.

Private messages are merely a way of getting in touch with a particular person to have a private chat, or make a suggestion to an Admin or the
    owner of the site as to what may be happening within the forum or to keep a close eye on certain members or a particular member,
    or even issues relating to the forum that needs to be fixed. This has nothing at all to do with signatures, or breaching the regulations set up
    by the forum.
    On the subject of signatures ..... as long as the signature is not a link to a personal or profitable website, then there isn't a problem.
    A signature may just be an animation of their username and nothing more that is placed at the bottom of their post instead of the
    typical smiley icons made available to them on the forum.

My monitor resolution has always been set at 1280 x 1024 and therefore should not be experiencing the horizontal scroll bar.

Sorry to say that the extra buttons do not work in spite of me highlighting the word or words.

Just between yourself and myself ...... I am 70yrs of age. I have a bachelor's degree in engineering which was my first love.
    I do have a master's degree in IT for the last 25 yrs. and have a deep knowledge and understanding of how things work.
    I give a lot of my time to those who need my help for no charge at all.
    Hence my reason for being here on this forum.
    It's something I enjoy very much.

Thanks once again for replying.

Cheers, and have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    The ads pay the bills for the web site which in turns allows you to join the site free of charge.

Private Message - like signatures - require that you be a member here for a while... You can always use the feedback forum.

You can adjust your monitors resolution to avoid having to scroll.

The extra buttons work well when used properly. HIGHLIGHT a word and then click the B to make that word Bold. etc....

What happens/doesn't happen when you try to use the Editor buttons?

Message Editor Interface:
    1. Do Not Show Editor Toolbar
    2. Show Standard Editor Toolbar
    3. Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG)
    I bumped the setting in your User Control Panel from option #2 to #3. Did that make any difference?
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Thanks Steve, it works.
    Thanks for the hope for paws link.
    My wife and I are dedicated animal lovers.

My frustration here is the number of times I have to play with the browser to get rid of the Ads.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    What happens/doesn't happen when you try to use the Editor buttons?

I bumped the setting in your User Control Panel from option #2 to #3. Did that make any difference?

Thread Information