dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML Editor Project?

HTML Editor Project?

I am developing full functional Windows html, css editor with advanced professional capabilites such as implementation to WP etc... posibilites are infinite, project is in beta stage, if somebody is willing to participate with ideas, beta testing or with programming skills please let me know, also funders are welcome to make this project work at professional stage.

It sounds like you are reinventing the wheel. Did you survey the market for existing editors and the like? There are excellent program editors, like Notepad++ and Crimson, wysiwig editors, like Dreamweaver (if it is still available?), and CMS systems, like WordPress. Where in this pantheon of functionality is your editor supposed to fit, and how are you going to make money out of it?

Also, integrating WP facilities is not trivial because of characters used by word processors that are invalid in HTML. Also, basic wp functionality, like columnar text with word wrap between the columns, is still not fully supported by the major browsers (as far as I'm aware). That is why most HTML editors work in plain ASCII text. Note: That is an over-simplification as you need to distinguish between the HTML code, which is, and must be, pure ASCII, and the embedded text, which can be in a variety of "character sets" depending upon the meta charset setting.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 10-30-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Brackets is a great open source project that I use. It has great project management and there are quite a few plugins. They update it all the time. Plus, it's made partly by Adobe developers. You could either make plugins or contribute directly on GitHub.

It would save you a lot of time developing the UI and other basic features. As jedaisoul said, you would be reinventing the wheel. You could easily get started in what you want to work on. It's written in NodeJS (Javascript) and anyone can learn it very quickly.

Brackets website: http://brackets.io/
    Brackets GitHub: https://github.com/adobe/brackets

Notepad++ also has plugins, but I'm not sure just how much control they have and how easy it is to develop one.

Jep brackets is good I am in the middle of this project, it will be long run investment with updates, only work is invested and that is good thing, i have nothing to lose, basicaly now editor is working excellent and it has powerful features similarity with mix of dreamweaver and brackets but with more details also live website update and css adjustment will be supported and plan is to release it as shareware when time comes.

Cool! Be sure to let us know so we can try it.

Thread Information