www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I need some advice! (And Hello :))

I need some advice! (And Hello :))

Hey smart people, I need your help! I'm pretty much a complete amateur to this whole web development thing; I know some basic HTML and can pretty much deal with CSS, but I don't know anything beyond that, and that's where my problem arises.

I've been trying to develop a website for a friend. The site is basically going to be a magazine/blog type affair. I created the logo for it and a general layout with CSS. Basically, it looks pretty but can't do any of the things that she needs it to do. This is where I'm hoping some one can help me out. I basically need to build these functions into the site and don't know the appropriate approach to do so, and I feel CSS probably isn't it:

• A news feed with uniform article overviews and a page system and back and forward buttons to navigate old articles
    • The simplest way possible to insert articles without having to change every page each time (so she can insert articles herself)
    • A search function to find articles easily

They're the most important things. I get the feeling some kind of database would be the most appropriate approach but I'm really not sure. I don't want to use any kind of templates as I'd really like to learn this stuff for myself. Any advice would be super appreciated guys Thanks in advance! (If I haven't explained it well enough then let me know)

She also needs a comment system for each article. I'm getting the feeling the simplest way to implement this would be the facebook comment system, but I don't know if that requires any kind thing of the site before it can be implemented? Thanks again!

Well, I'm a pretty daft hand at PHP/database programming (I get a regular paycheck every two weeks for it, anyway), but I'd probably just use WordPress for it. To implement the stuff you're talking about is not trivial, and doing it wrong could become quite aggravating.

But if you really want to do it yourself, then you'll need go far beyond just learning HTML/CSS markup, and actually start learning programming (server-side such as PHP, and client-side with JavaScript), along with some basic database design theory and a fair bit of SQL. If you're up for it and have as much time as you want/need, by all means go for it. If you want a pretty solid and reasonably secure site that works before several months into 2014, you might want to go for WordPress or other blog/cms package that provides the functionality you need.

IMHO, of course.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information