www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Two navigation bars on one page

Hmm. See what it does in FF and Chrome without the attribute anyways. In the HTML5 docs, it says NOT to use both at once. IE probably has support for the attribute, but not the tag. You could use a conditional tag for IE (what version?) or a simple server-side script (probably PHP).

I went back to zero and started over, setting the two navigation bars to div only (no class or id) and removed the highlight.js. Page displays as desired in the following current browsers: IE-10, FF-25, Chrome, Safari, Opera and SeaMonkey.

Set the top navigation to "div ID='top'" and re-activated the highlight.js for 'div & top'. Page displays correctly (including top menu highlight) in all the above browsers EXCEPT IE (no highlighted nav bar). Checked to make sure scripting enabled in IE.

Have you any idea why (other than the fact it IS Microsoft) why IE won't display the highlight?

Duplicate deleted
    Last edited by jwgrafflin; 11-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I have no clue. In IE, hit F12. Look at the console for errors and/or warnings. Also look at the CSS, Script, and Profiler tabs for anything unusual. Run the debugger in the Script tab & reload the page. See the results. Same in the Profiler tab. Validate it again. Put all of your Javascript through JSLint. Try Compatibility View (this will probably actually screw up the whole thing). I don't know what's going on now. At least the original problem was fixed.

Replaced div with nav and got the same results. Used a different highlight script, again with the same results. Used class instead of id, again with the same results. The problem is obviously IE. No wonder IE's market share is dwindling so rapidly.

The first thing noted at JSLint is "Missing 'use strict' statement.

aObj = document.getElementById('bottom').getElementsByTagName('a');" I have no idea what that means.

Resolved: Tried three different .js scripts. None of them worked in IE. Just applied "jquery-1.3.2.min.js" and the highlight works in all browsers, including IE. It's short, simple and it works. Refer to http://learnedstuffs.wordpress.com/2...-current-page/ for complete details.

UPDATE: It works for both top and bottom menus, highlighting both at the same time (providing they are identical).

Up jumps another rabbit. If I move "jquery-1.3.2.min.js" to my "main.js" file (where I have several relatively small .js files with each seperated by "<!-- File Name -->") it stops working in IE. Works just fine everywhere else. I do this to reduce page load time, so the server is not having to make a separate call for each script. So, except for very special circumstances, I have one css and one .js to call. Any ideas?

Having rabbit stew tomorrow. Seems all that stuff I had in my main.js was either obsolete, or included in jquery. Replaced it with the above mentioned jquery script and all is well again. Thanks for all your help. For reference, here is the page I have been working on: http://www.startpagedepot.com. It's an old site I use to test new things before implementing them on my main websites.

PS - Mondy (November 11) is Veterans Day in the US and Remembrance Day in Canada. Hug a Veteran and thank those who served their country worldwide. I salute you, my brothers and sisters. Semper Fi
    Last edited by jwgrafflin; 11-10-2013 at 09:46 PM.

nav wont work in IE without "role=navigation".

Quote Originally Posted by azan00 View Post
    Itís not so simple now a days to buy a excellent written essays, first of all if you are intent. Someone always help make seriuosly posts i'd condition.
    I agree with this.....

Thread Information