www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help me convince clients not to support IE8

Hybrid View

Help me convince clients not to support IE8

I work for a web shop making websites for large brand name companies. I've convinced my boss to push our clients to drop IE8 support. My boss gave me a task to create a "deck" that can be given to clients. The deck will contain bullet points and information on why IE8 sucks and why their projects will be better leaving it behind.

So far I have:
    * only 10% market share
    * terrible support for advanced technologies like HTML5, CSS3

• Insecure (it's a web-shop, so this fits in)
    • Not Majorly Updated (recently)
    • "You will be limited or redirected to a different version o this site with different features."
    • Restricts this website to being less powerful

You will probably not be able to convince them. For the developer, it's relatively easy to make adjustments to support IE8.

Making it slightly easier for you to code websites, is not worth 10% of their market share. That's a huge percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by httpster View Post
    10% of their market share. That's a huge percentage.
    But getting smaller all the time. My October 2013 stats for IE8: 2.62% of file requests and 3.8% of visitors. This for a site where most visitors are not "tech savvy". Those percentages will likely go way down after April at EOL for WinXP.

In fact, non-IE browsers are more than double the percentage of users and file requests of ALL IE versions. A very significant percentage is mobile. Another card for the OP's "deck": mobile is the future, IE8 is the past.

Help me convince clients not to support IE8

Odds are they are using XP and can't upgrade to newer versions... You could list all the reasons why getting off XP is a good thing.

Then you get into the part about where the pc's probably can't handle the upgrade to Win 7... Offer them new computers
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound....."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

What is more important to your clients:

a) Your convenience?

b) Their (potential) client's impressions?

A major part of a web site's purpose is to foster a brand identity. What would not supporting their browser say to them? If, when Microsoft end support for XP there is a significant shift away from IE8, you might have a case, but for the time being, people will continue to access your sites using IE8, whether you like it or not. You need to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by josh4 View Post
    I work for a web shop making websites for large brand name companies. I've convinced my boss to push our clients to drop IE8 support. My boss gave me a task to create a "deck" that can be given to clients. The deck will contain bullet points and information on why IE8 sucks and why their projects will be better leaving it behind.

So far I have:
    * only 10% market share
    * terrible support for advanced technologies like HTML5, CSS3
    Just do like the government and blame everything on "al qaeda". Tell your clients it is for their own safety and security that they must get rid of IE8!

Further to my earlier comments, I would suggest that the real choice is not whether to support IE8 or not, but rather: How much effort should be expended on testing and optimising for that browser? That could be, and I suggest should be the client's call, not yours. After all, they are paying for it. So, if you can quantify the additional work (and hence cost) required to optimize a site for IE8, they can choose whether it is commercially in their interest to pay for it.

Sorry to raise an older thread back; but now that Microsoft's support for Windows XP has finally come to an end, has the opinion of continuing development for IE8 changed? The users have been warned after all that it is now insecure.
    JavaScript: Learn | Validate | Compact

I recently (last month) had to make a change for a cosmetic problem that only showed up in IE8 -- and only when it was being run in "compatibility mode". But the client is a big corporation that probably has lots of its employees running IE8 on WinXP (supported or not) so that they can run old intranet apps that depend on ActiveX controls, so someone there noticed this layout glitch. I've seen that a lot over the years: it's not the general public that's the problem, but the big companies full of old PCs running old custom applications.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information