www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Video Compression

Video Compression

Hello,

I've got a 30MB video and the current compression is great. I'm trying to strip out the first 15 minutes of the video though. When I run in through a program to do so, it turns the video into 300MB! I can't find a good way to keep the quality.

I've tried running it through FFMPEG, Adobe Media Encoder, Windows Movie Maker, etc. Any advice?

Thanks.
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

If you have a video stream that you just want to chop out a bit of video, then VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod will do the job for you and no recompression needed because it will just chop the stream.

You may find that you can compress the stream further with no loss in quality.

VDub can strip out empty frames, reduce the number of keyframes that are often set to 1 every 25 frames can be reduced to 1 every 300 frames or more with no loss.

Furthermore, the program is completely free. Do a search for it on the internet.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thanks! I just downloaded it. When I try to import the mp4 it says it's an unsupported file ... odd. Googling the issue now
    I'm always up for networking with fellow web professionals. Connect with me on LinkedIn if you like!

OK, it looks like there is a plugin to handle mp4, but it says VirtualDub will only save to AVI. I need mp4 ... is VirtualDub still a solution?

You can look up virtual Dub Mod, it handles other MPEG types.

Your option would be to use VirtualDub to edit your video, export it to an AVI container and then transcode it using FFMPEG
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information