www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: They don't take me seriously

They don't take me seriously

Hi,

I am a Junior Web Developer. I have been trying to find an either a remote or local job here in UK. I have done a lot of applications but they do not take me seriously. I tried to figure out what the problem is and I think my Computer engineering degree along with my MSc Network Administration & Management is really disturbing. You might already said: indeed mate, why do you describe yourself as a web developer. Well, I have a fair experience in OOP (Java, Ruby on Rails, PHP). Also I worked a lot with front-end for designing jquery animations, css3 style sheets and html5. I have a very good understanding of Javascript, coffeescript, node.JS and backbone. That's not all but I am not writing my resume here. I am mentioning all these because I need an advice.

So far I thought of removing the Masters degree from my CV and making some sample designs for my portfolio using HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery. However I am not motivated to just create some designs. Everyone has designs.

What I am after is creating or "doing" something else that will make me stand out. What can I do right now that is important for getting someone's attetion to hire me? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Do some people networking. Join and attend local users' groups in your area. Keep an eye out for meet-and-greet events, job fairs, etc. and get to know people in the field. Participate actively and helpfully in forums like this where you might expect to interact with people in the field. A referral from someone who works at a company is worth way more than a great resume/CV. (It's not what you know, it's whom you know.)

As I suggested recently to another member here, if you have some spare time, look for a local non-profit, charity, church, school, etc. that you could work with to improve or even create their web presence. It's both good experience and something "real" you can include in your portfolio.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you for the advice. I took your suggestion and I started a big project that I will add in my portfolio later on.

Thread Information