What I am trying to do is to populate an html dropdown list with values from a file. I also need it coded to where it will look in the first field for a value from one dropdown box and then populate another dropdown box. I am trying to understand Java script, but I am not sure if I would be able to do this with Java Script. If not java script maybe a different client-side development.

The file will have a list of names which I have coded into the HTML, but this list changes. So I need a way to pull the information from the file. The first row will not be displayed in the HTML file as this will be coded into the web page.

County City<br>
Davidson Antioch<br>
Davidson Nashville<br>
Rutherford Smyrna

When someone selects the county Davidson from the html form i want it to show the davidson cities in the other dropdown box for them to select. The code I have been using to achieve this without the file is as follows:

<htmL>
<title>
</title>

<body>
<script type="text/javascript">

function configureDropDownLists(county,city) {
var Davidson = new Array('', 'Antioch', 'Nashville');
var Rutherford = new Array('', 'Smyrna', 'LaVergne');

switch (county.value) {
case 'Davidson':
document.getElementById(city).options.length = 0;
for (i = 0; i < Davidson.length; i++) {
createOption(document.getElementById(city), Davidson[i], Davidson[i]);
}
break;
case 'Rutherford':
document.getElementById(city).options.length = 0;
for (i = 0; i < Rutherford.length; i++) {
createOption(document.getElementById(city), Rutherford[i], Rutherford[i]);
}
break;
}

}

function createOption(county, text, value) {
var opt = document.createElement('option');
opt.value = value;
opt.text = text;
county.options.add(opt);
}
</script>
<tr>
<td>County Name: </td>
<td><select id="county" onchange="configureDropDownLists(this,'city');">
<option value=""></option>
<option value="Davidson">Davidson</option>
<option value="Rutherford">Rutherford</option>
</select></td>
</tr><br>
<tr>
<td>City: </td>
<td><select id="city">
</select></td>
</tr>

</body>
</html>

I am not sure how to get the data from my file to do the same as how this code works. I need the first column to be searched and the second column to be displayed with javascript, activeX, or any other coding language that can do the trick in a web page from the client's side. The file will be located on a shared drive along with the web page in the same directory which is not on a server, this is why i need it to be on the client-side.