www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Should I rent a server or buy a server?

Should I rent a server or buy a server?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum...

I want to set up a business developing websites and I need to set up my own website. I am looking at renting a server as it is much cheaper up front.

But is buying a server cheaper in the long run? If I buy a server then that would save me money in the long term and I could sell it off when it gets old. Maintaining your own server and having to pay for the energy to keep it on would be the downside of buying a server.

But if it's cheaper to rent a server rather than buy a server and keep it on all the time, then how do the server hosting companies make money? They also have to have employees to maintain the server, so how do they make money?

Using round numbers.... the first year of rental covers the cost of the server... The next several years of rental is all profit so to speak...
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

What about the power added onto that? Would that cost more than the server eventually?

*Renting the server eventually?

Servers don't use more electricity than any other desktop so I wouldn't worry about it.

My company leases/rents 10 servers so that we don't have to mess with them if one breaks. If needed, they can take the hard drive out and place it in another machines in less than an hours.

About every 4 to 5 years we replace the servers with brand new ones at no cost to us. We generally get a better machine at a slightly lower monthly cost.

We can also return/stop using a server at any time and don't have to worry about losing a lot of money trying to sell one.

And as you've mentioned - there is no upfront costs when you rent.

On the other hand - if you own the server, you'd save a lot of money provided you didn't need any repairs.

So do you think I should start off with a server that is very basic and then upgrade it when I have more clients?

Also, I want to hone my coding skills before I spend any money on setting up a business. Should I just create an offline website on my computer and then when it looks good upload it to a server. I know you can use this software called XAMPP to hone your PHP skills.

I would do the skill honing first...

No sense renting a server till you need one... And you should probably order more then you need to avoid having to upgrade... You wouldn't want to take sites down for periods of time so you could add a larger hard drive etc...

OK I see but I'm not sure how much space I will need.

If I did start using a basic server how hard would it be to move the contents of my website over to the server? Would that be hard and time consuming? I bet I'd have to eventually upgrade. I'm just not sure how much I need initially and how many clients I'm going to get.

Thread Information