www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to display a message on another page

How to display a message on another page

I am working on a form for a survey. It is very simple as it only has three radio buttons. After the form is submitted, I have another PHP page handling the form. I am using isset to check to see if each one was ticked. If one was not ticked, I want to display a message asking the user to answer each one. On the other hand, I also want to display a message how can I pass a message once the form is successfully completed. I know how to easily do this in JavaScript but no in PHP.

Anyone care to help me out? Below is the code I have:

This is where I want to display the message. The page that contains this is only a PHP page and not an HTML page. Thanks to anyone that takes a look at this.

<span name="message">&nbsp;</span>

PHP Code:

session_start(); 
    <?php

if(!isset($_POST['whereBuyBooks']) ||
       !isset(
    $_POST['rent']) ||
       !isset(
    $_POST['usefulness'])){

//How do I get this on the survey page??

$message 'Please answer each question';
      }

//Grabs data from form
    $whereBuyBooks $_POST['whereBuyBooks'];
    $rent $_POST['rent'];
    $usefulness $_POST['usefulness'];

//Grabs current time
    $curtime date("Y-m-d H:i:s",time()); 

// Formats data before writing to file
    $data =  'New survery taken on: ' .$curtime."\n";
    $data .= 'Where students buy most books: ' .$whereBuyBooks "\n";
    $data .= 'Do you rent texbooks: ' .$rent"\n";
    $data .= 'How useful do you find our site: ' .$usefulness"\n\n\n\n";

$filename 'survey.txt';

file_put_contents($filename$dataFILE_APPEND);

//How do I get this on the survey page??
    $message 'Thank you for completing our survey';

header("Location: index.php"); 

?>

Easiest(?) way is to use a single page for everything, so that the form page submits to itself. Then you add logic up front to determine whether or not this is a form submission (usually by checking for some $_POST or $_GET element), in which you case you process it, else if not, then you display the form. If the form submission fails, then you can display the form along with a message, plus the values are already there in $_GET or $_POST if you want to use them to prefill the form with what the user had entered.

You may want to make the form page itself a separate file that you can require() as needed, and you could do the same with the "success" page.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    Easiest(?) way is to use a single page for everything, so that the form page submits to itself. Then you add logic up front to determine whether or not this is a form submission (usually by checking for some $_POST or $_GET element), in which you case you process it, else if not, then you display the form. If the form submission fails, then you can display the form along with a message, plus the values are already there in $_GET or $_POST if you want to use them to prefill the form with what the user had entered.

You may want to make the form page itself a separate file that you can require() as needed, and you could do the same with the "success" page.
    I thought about doing that to start with but was not sure if I could. This page I am working on with the survey form will be the header page for each page of my site, which will also have the log in form.

Will I run into any problems having two forms that need to be handled on the same page by the same page? I suppose I could put each one in a function. Would that work?

Thanks for the fast response!

Just wanted to say that I figured it out. I just put all the code in an if isset on the submit button. Then I said if not set show error message else grab the inputs, write to file, and display thank you message.

Thanks again!

Below is the example code you can try this:

process.php

header('location: /thank-you.php?mess=1');
    exit();
    thank-you.php

$mess = isset($_REQUEST['mess']) ? $_REQUEST['mess'] : null;
    if($mess == 1) {
    echo 'Thank you. Please come again'; }

This is not optimal but should work for simple scenarios.Hope this helps.

Such A Nice Information thanks For the Share This

Thread Information