www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting back into coding HTML... are we there yet!

Question Getting back into coding HTML... are we there yet!

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum **so please bear with me as it’s a bit long winded but hopefully I can glean enough info from you guys to point me in the right direction.

I’m wanting to get back into learning web design (html & css) and… JavaScript?

I had a crack at it about 5yrs ago and learnt enough from the W3C tutorials to get some workable pages up and running. I already have some basic programming experience: Visual Basic, Filemaker, PIC programming etc. so I was ok on the syntax, logic and construct side of things but being from a ‘design & print’ background, one of the things I initially struggled with was the ‘fluid’ nature of web pages – ie. a ‘printed page’ is static, but a web page is ‘anarchy’!!!

Anyway, I got over it and started to delve more into css and learnt a bit of php as well. I was using FireFox (still am) as my main browser, which is W3C compliant? and got to the point of just using an html editor.

The final thing that really made me give it away was the browser issue. I mistakenly thought that if I followed the W3C standard, all would be good in the world… but I soon learnt that was not the case when my pages fell to bits!!! when viewing on IE and Safari etc. also compounded with the view that people could (and would) be able to produce web pages in other countries for a couple of $ a day?..... I ‘spat the dummy’ and gave it up.

Ok, so it’s all come full circle. If only I’d kept it up. There is very good opportunities for web developers here in Melbourne Oz.

So, where/how do I re-start?

1. Should I focus on HTML5, CSS3
    2. Are there still the same browser incompatibilities
    3. What about Fonts (they can be embedded now?)
    4. What else should I be aware of?

Advice Appreciated.

Steve.

HTML 5 is certainly the future, and there's no reason to avoid it since it has backwards compatibility with older browsers, but there is limited compatibility with many of the newest features even with the latest crop of browsers. My approach has been to build new sites on an HTML 5 foundation, but limit the use of new features.

CSS 3 has much deeper support, and it's important to keep in mind the distinction between HTML 5 and CSS Level 3 in this regard. That is, you can use CSS 3 in HTML 4 documents if you like, and most of the enhancements either have native support in all browsers or can be easily added with embedded software for older versions of IE.

Browser compatibility is better. Much better in many ways since IE9 was released. For the vast majority of sites, you can design with IE8 as a baseline with 95% coverage.

The font situation is vastly improved. Go see Google fonts or any other font site.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Thanks for the heads up Rick, much appreciated.

Seems like HTML 5 / CS3 is the way to go.

I figure that by the time I get up to reasonable speed (i'm thinking 1yr), HTML 5 will be more of the standard than the exception.

However, I do have a concern. As you quoted:
    . . . build new sites on an HTML 5 foundation, but limit the use new features.
    I'm thinking that I'll have to learn HTML 4 (not a bad thing though), otherwise, how will I determine what features of HTML5 to limit?

Steve.

Hi i made my own blog and i want to edit contact us form
    please any one share here contact us form script please

I don't want to oversell HTML 5, but it's more mainstream than many people realize. The major limitation is that older browsers (meaning IE8 and below) don't have native support for the new semantic tags like <section> or <nav>. Some simple JavaScript fixes that - see https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/ and jQuery v1.7+. There is also varying support across current browsers for the new HTML 5 <input> types like 'color' and 'date'. Otherwise, you can pretty much drop an HTML 5 DOCTYPE in a HTML 4 page and it will perform as before. So you can design with progressive enhancement - giving features to contemporary browsers without locking anyone out.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

I think starting with HTML5 is best for you. I hope you will be able to do in your coming journey.

Quote Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
    Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum **so please bear with me as it’s a bit long winded but hopefully I can glean enough info from you guys to point me in the right direction.

I’m wanting to get back into learning web design (html & css) and… JavaScript?

I had a crack at it about 5yrs ago and learnt enough from the W3C tutorials to get some workable pages up and running. I already have some basic programming experience: Visual Basic, Filemaker, PIC programming etc. so I was ok on the syntax, logic and construct side of things but being from a ‘design & print’ background, one of the things I initially struggled with was the ‘fluid’ nature of web pages – ie. a ‘printed page’ is static, but a web page is ‘anarchy’!!!

Anyway, I got over it and started to delve more into css and learnt a bit of php as well. I was using FireFox (still am) as my main browser, which is W3C compliant? and got to the point of just using an html editor.

The final thing that really made me give it away was the browser issue. I mistakenly thought that if I followed the W3C standard, all would be good in the world… but I soon learnt that was not the case when my pages fell to bits!!! when viewing on IE and Safari etc. also compounded with the view that people could (and would) be able to produce web pages in other countries for a couple of $ a day?..... I ‘spat the dummy’ and gave it up.

Ok, so it’s all come full circle. If only I’d kept it up. There is very good opportunities for web developers here in Melbourne Oz.

So, where/how do I re-start?

1. Should I focus on HTML5, CSS3
    2. Are there still the same browser incompatibilities
    3. What about Fonts (they can be embedded now?)
    4. What else should I be aware of?

Advice Appreciated.

Steve.
    wow, it's great that you are interested in web design after a long gap. But as you know there are many advanced changes came in this industry. If you really focus on it you can get it. To complete one two websites you may get difficulty then you can rock.

Try to focus on jquery also. because it is essential now in responsive web design. And Put focus on Responsive web design related things like media queries and html5 tags sections, articles. That is enough you can rock again. all the best.

Thread Information