www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I want to set up a website but want to sharpen my skills before.

I want to set up a website but want to sharpen my skills before.

Hi, I want to set up a website but I haven't coded for a while, it's been since last year that I was practicing Javascript on Codecademy. I want to make sure that I am confident that I can do the job and that I am not going to get a bad reputation for doing the job badly or getting stuck when I am building other people's websites.

I want to firstly set up my own website offering my services. But I want to be sure that I can am good at the languages I know first (XHTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript). I also need to learn how to design logos and is their anything else I need to learn? I don't want to rent a server yet because I still think I need a bit of practice building websites. I have built my own page offline before but it was junk, a basic XHTML and CSS Webpage, I hadn't applied any Javascript to it.

I really want to start this business up so I can get out of my crappy restaurant job at the moment. I am just a bit unsure of how it will work out.

Well, I say... get started in honing those skills again. I suggest no other than photoshop in designing logos.. it's a must for me in web designing or developing as well...

do not put a site offering services if you're not ready yourself.. unless you'll outsource the work to other experience individual..

logos are properly done as vector based designs not bitmap, because the logo needs to scale. Therefore you should use adobe illustrator or fireworks for logos not photoshop.

My only other suggestion would be to learn html5, css3, along with jQuery. It's all about practice and dedication; if you have that the sky is the limit.

That's great thought.
    As you said you know html css.
    And one more thing also you need. That is photoshop.
    In design part it is must.

with all due respect; if a web designer know fireworks there is no need to learn photoshop. Fireworks was built for web designers.

Thread Information