www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: telephone number detection

Question telephone number detection

I'm working with a JS based website template(build.rebeccajankowskimd.com) When pulled up on an iphone any numbers that the phone detects as a potential phone number isn't displayed. It allocates the space but, doesn't display the number.

If I add the following to the head of my index.html file it displays the numbers just fine. But of course, the numbers aren't "linkable" to initiate a call to the number.

<meta name = "format-detection" content = "telephone=no" />

What is it about JS based websites that require disabling format-detection in order for a phone to display the number?

Any ideas? I'd really like the phone numbers to be "linkable" when a user is on a mobile device. All suggestion, tips, advice will be appreciated.

You check the browser type, then if its a mobile, redirect to mobile based web code.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thanks for the reply but, my other question still stands. Why does the mobile device, when detecting a telephone number, not display the information in a js based website? The mobile devices display detected phone numbers just fine in normal html websites.

Because it detects it being a telephone number it doesn't show it; I find that interesting.

Thread Information