www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help getting an up-dated PHP book for a starter like me.

Hybrid View

Need help getting an up-dated PHP book for a starter like me.

I'm new to php, I know to "improvise" something already written, with a lot of tries most of the time.
    I'm a graphic designer and I can make websites with html5 and css3, learned that from books and I rarely have any trouble.
    But now, when I try to do something more "complex" than that, like a store based on opencart or magento, I always find myself just trying to change and delete and add values, with an hope of getting the results that I want.

Can someone recommend me an up-dated book about PHP so I can learn the basics or even more?
    I was thinking about one of these:

PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides) by Larry Ullman
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0321733452

PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (Visual QuickPro Guides) by Larry Ullman
    Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0321784073

Those books where based on the amazon reviews, but right now I'd rather buy just one, and I don't even know which one is more usefull for my needs and knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

I am in relatively the same position as you, so I can relate. I am currently reading and working my way through PHP Visual Quickstart Guide (Third Edition) by Larry Ullman. It is relatively helpful and easy to follow. As I am learning, this stuff takes time and there is no quick way to learn all this. I have the Lynda.com Tutorials downloaded as well. You may always want to check out codecademy and phpacademy as well for online resources.

Hopefully this helps a bit and best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by nodnarbnap View Post
    I am in relatively the same position as you, so I can relate. I am currently reading and working my way through PHP Visual Quickstart Guide (Third Edition) by Larry Ullman. It is relatively helpful and easy to follow. As I am learning, this stuff takes time and there is no quick way to learn all this. I have the Lynda.com Tutorials downloaded as well. You may always want to check out codecademy and phpacademy as well for online resources.

Hopefully this helps a bit and best of luck to you!
    Probably gonna buy the book you have and definitely check those links.
    Thanks!

Thread Information