www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to invoke javascrupt openwindow from html <form>

how to invoke javascrupt openwindow from html <form>

I want to go to a new window from a form, but I don't see how to position the JS so the parameters are passed.
    This doesn't work:
    <form action=javascriptpWin("http://test.com")>
    <input type=hidden etc.></form>

How can I pass the <form> parameters?

These really don't answer my question. I know how to open a window.
    My questions was how to do it from a <form>. I.e. how to get the <form> parameters properly associated with the open function? Thanks.

Why?

You seem to have a way that works
    and another that does not.

What do you believe would be the advantage to use a <form>?

Why do I want to use <form>? Because what I'm doing requires <form>, requires input data. How else would I do input data without <form>? I can open a new window via <a href> but then I wouldn't have input fields. I do not have a way that works. Is there an answer to my question?

Question

Show some code or provide a live link to your problem.
    Perhaps there is a better way to accomplish your desire.

You can open an existing site with an included form (with inputs).
    You can create a page with the form and inputs on the fly.
    I don't understand your need to do it via a submit event.

Do you really not understand why anyone would want to go from a <form> directly to a new window?
    It's very simple - the form asks for parameters to be used in generating the new window.
    My specifics don't matter. Just answer the question of how I go from a form to a new window - with parameters from the form. Envision a simple form that gets one input and wants to open the next script in a new window passing the input. That's all I need. If it can't be done, tell me that.

I should add that I currently do it with an intermediate step - "Continue?" so I can pass parameters with "<a href=javascript:function()>" But the Continue step should not be necessary.
    Last edited by zron; 11-29-2013 at 07:02 PM.

xx
    Last edited by zron; 11-29-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: delete

I think you need to define what "parameters" you want to pass to the new window/page. URL obviously, but scrollbars? Window size? Menubar? Other? That's going to determine what inputs you need, hidden or not, in your form. It will also determine what needs to be in your JavaScript.

Sorry, thought I was clear. By parameters I mean the input from the form used by the subsequent application. This application is about dog shows - to give you context, lets say a small window asks "what states do you want to see shows from?" and it loads a big window with a list of dog shows in the indicated states. (It's much ore complex than that, but I'm trying to keep the example simple.)

I don't need help with the JS-level parameters you mention above.

So, to help me wrap my pea-brain around this, and to extend your analogy, let's assume you have a list of all dog show in the USA in 2014. You would like a user to input via your form "I want to see all the dog shows in Idaho in February 2014" (just an example), and have your results window/page open with all those dog shows. Is that a reasonable representation of what you want to happen?

Yes - but the application really isn't the issue. Don't try to suggest different ways to do my application!
    Can't someone just answer the question of how to go from a <form> to a new window with the form parameters (<input>, submit, select, radio, hidden, etc) passed properly? Give me just a simple example with one parameter.

The reason I asked the stupid question is

1. Yes it's possible to open a window with JavaScript but
    2. JavaScript isn't going to pull your parameters or pass those parameters to a new window without a lot of help

You basically have a database of dog shows. You will need a server-side solution to display the results of a database query. That involves, probably, MySQL and PHP. Now, JavaScript can open a new window to display the results of that query, but it can't make the query because it's a client-side language. In other words, JS only works on the user's computer, not the server.

Thank you, I have given up trying to communicate with this guy!

This is the mostly used way. As
    <form action="javascript:window.open("www.myonlinemela.blogspot.com")>

Thread Information