dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Beginner Javascript Question

Beginner Javascript Question

Hello,

I'm a college music professor and I'd like to know how difficult it would be to gain the skills to program something like this? Would going through a basic Javascript course give me enough tools are is this something that would take years to accomplish. http://teoria.com/exercises/md.php

I think it's Javascript.

Just click on the "OK" button to start the exercise. You listen to the musical excerpt, click on note values and enter them on the musical staff.

Thanks,
    Aaron

It's actually done in Flash not JavaScript. Looks pretty sophisticated (read complicated to program) to me. But I don't do Flash, so take that comment for what it's worth .

Kevin, thanks for the reply. I guess than I would want to know if something like that could be done in Javascript. Many of my students use iPads and so Flash would not work.

Frankly I don't know. A very rough guess would be that the amount of coding necessary to accomplish the same thing in JS would be significantly greater than Flash -- if it's even possible. I also know that it's waaaay beyond my capabilities.

I was going to suggest that you just send your students to that website, but I see your point. If a significant number use iThings it's not practical. Unfortunately I can't recommend an alternative.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. You're right, I talked with a retired research computer professor and he thinks it would be easier in Flash.

A couple things to look at. It's possible to convert Flash/SWF files to HTML5. I did it once with a very small (5kb) flash file and found that it almost doubled the file size (9kb). Google's Swiffy has an online converter that's limited to 1mb. Copyright rules apply! You must own, or have permission from the owner, to upload and convert. Anyway, here's a couple of links for you:

http://www.statsilk.com/blog/flash-v...n-tools-review
    https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/swiffy/

I just read about a new JavaScript framework today:

Fast and flashy: Famo.us JavaScript framework revealed (InfoWorld.com)

From the article and the subsequent code demo page, it looks like a GUI framework written in JavaScript that uses WebGL + HTML + CSS3 transformations as the display layer, rather than the normal HTML + CSS combo.

They are claiming near native-speed performance. The framework is in a private alpha phase. If it becomes all they say it will, it could be seen as a viable cross browser, cross platform replacement for Flash.

Thread Information