www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Source code and copyright

Source code and copyright

Hi all,

I'd like to know what people think about ownership of source codes. Does/should it belong to the developer, or the person who created the conetnt and working concept of the site for which they commissioned the developer to help bring to life?

If it's the developers, then how valid is a bog standard Non-Disclosure Agreement?

Thanks for your thoughts

J

then how valid is a bog standard Non-Disclosure Agreement?

What does Bog Standard mean?

And are you maybe asking about Non-Compete?

Agreements are only as good as the words used to write them... Meaning, if they aren't written well they can be challenged.

Is todays question related to your other looking for a developer - sweat equity position?
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound....."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Unless the developer of the code expressly states in the contract of sale, the code belongs to them.

If you commission a project and employ a programmer to do a job, you own the product / code that they produce.

The difference is that in the first example you are buying off the shelf code, the other you are having bespoke work done under a contract that you will then own.

Non-disclosure agreements are mainly used for inventors or people who have developed a product that they then tout to the major corporations and venture capitalists.

What you need is a contract of employment where you state clearly that you are employing the developer to do specific jobs and that what is developed becomes your property... This is how Edison did business, the man never invented a single thing he has credit for, it was the thousands of people under him that did all the grunt work and innovation that Edison then claimed credit for.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    What does Bog Standard mean? - Off the net template

And are you maybe asking about Non-Compete? - Non-compete is definiytely a clause

Agreements are only as good as the words used to write them... Meaning, if they aren't written well they can be challenged. I agree.

Is todays question related to your other looking for a developer - sweat equity position?
    Yes it relates to the developer position.

Thanks, very insightful

Thread Information