www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can anyone recommend a responsive nav menu javascript/jquery library?

Can anyone recommend a responsive nav menu javascript/jquery library?

I'm trying to find a good javascript/jquery responsive navigation menu script to integrate into a standard html5 website. I'm struggling to find one that fulfills all my requirements, which are:

• Free
    • Horizontal layout with drop-down sub-menus in desktop width
    • Ideally a vertical concertina in mobile width
    • Touch-friendly - i.e. will show an expand/contract icon on touch screen devices or on all devices
    • Cross-browser friendly (including ie7)

It seems to me that these are pretty normal requirements, used on many sites, but it's quite difficult to find a suitable plug-in library.

The closest I've found have been flexnav which is buggy in internet explorer and smartmenus which has a funny approach to the top level links for touch devices (the top level menu items trigger drop down, then turn into standard links after the sub-menu is displayed. There's no collapse button so a person can't minimise an expanded menu manually).

Does anyone know of a suitable script library? What do commercial sites use - does each developer write their own or do they rely on paid-for libraries?

Many thanks.

I use the Foundation grid system (free) for layout. They have a pretty good top-bar navigation system. I only experimented with Foundation 4's top-bar. They recently released Foundation 5. I am not sure if it meets all your needs. Check it out:

http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/topbar.html#

Hello! Recently I've found a nice javascript library with responsive menus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFishman View Post
    I'm trying to find a good javascript/jquery responsive navigation menu script to integrate into a standard html5 website. I'm struggling to find one that fulfills all my requirements, which are:

• Free
    • Horizontal layout with drop-down sub-menus in desktop width
    • Ideally a vertical concertina in mobile width
    • Touch-friendly - i.e. will show an expand/contract icon on touch screen devices or on all devices
    • Cross-browser friendly (including ie7)

It seems to me that these are pretty normal requirements, used on many sites, but it's quite difficult to find a suitable plug-in library.

The closest I've found have been flexnav which is buggy in internet explorer and smartmenus which has a funny approach to the top level links for touch devices (the top level menu items trigger drop down, then turn into standard links after the sub-menu is displayed. There's no collapse button so a person can't minimise an expanded menu manually).

Does anyone know of a suitable script library? What do commercial sites use - does each developer write their own or do they rely on paid-for libraries?

Many thanks.

Hello I have been recently using an easy-to-learn js library Webix that has horizontal and vertical layouts with drop-down sub-menus. All its UI-components are based on HTML5 standards so I could integrate them into my HTML5 web app. All touch events run smoothly. This library can be used under GPLv3 and commercial licenses.

Thread Information