dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Good language for rapid development, mobile friendly, & versatile (other skill sets?)

Good language for rapid development, mobile friendly, & versatile (other skill sets?)

Hey web developers!

I need some insight on Web development. It's to my understanding that I need HTML, CSS, and both a server side and client side language to make a website, is that correct? Is there other skill sets I need to be a full blown web developer, like understanding networking?

One thing I'm confused about is design, which aspect of web development actually makes up web design, how the page looks? Is it simply the HTML or does the client side language play a role? Are there limitations on design depending on which language(s) you choose to use?

I have a few requirements for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Although I'm not looking to take shortcuts actually learning the language, I need a language that can be used for rapid development, but that's also versatile in its application and mobile friendly. Does that even exist?

I would like to be able to build websites on my own or at least work with a small team.

As far as functionality, I need to be able to embed videos from Facebook/Youtube and use Google Maps. My ultimate goal, however, is to make a fully functioning social network.

Btw, the only experience I have with coding is some basic C code. I know PHP has C like syntax, but I don't know much about any other languages/web specific languages.

Hi and welcome to the site.

Where to start? Perhaps the most important thing you need to do is sort out your priorities. If speed and ease of development is your no.1 priority, I'd suggest that you should be looking at CMSs. As to which one, you need to try a few, and work out which suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Hi and welcome to the site.

Where to start? Perhaps the most important thing you need to do is sort out your priorities. If speed and ease of development is your no.1 priority, I'd suggest that you should be looking at CMSs. As to which one, you need to try a few, and work out which suits you best.
    Do you mind explaining what you mean by cmss and the benefits it would have over the languages I mentioned and the other ones out there? What would be the difference?

Would it be mobile friendly, but also versatile? Could I do anything with it and any design I want?

Thanks for the speedy reply and greeting. ��

Apologies for the delay in replying. If you do not know the term "CMS" (Content Management System) nor the functionality they provide, I'd suggest you search Google. You should find more balanced information than I can provide as I neither like nor use them. But, if you want my opinions:

Content Management Systems allow you to put together a web site in the minimum time and with the minimum knowledge. in addition to the CMSs you can get templates for them that add functionality but restrict flexibility to some extent. There are templates that are responsive, with a wide range available to meet most requirements.

The problem with CMSs and templates comes when you want them to do something they are not designed to do. Then they can be far more difficult to amend than hand-written code.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 08-11-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Of possible help (or information overload): http://www.opensourcecms.com
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Thread Information