www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My website doesn't redirect to Index.htm

Angry My website doesn't redirect to Index.htm

Hi people.

I've just recently purchased a domain name and hosting for testing purposes, but when I log on, instead of the index displaying, I get is this:

Index of /

When I select index, my page is there, but shouldn't this happen automatically?

The name as well as the case is important to some webserver configurations.
    For example my webserver automatically looks for index.php or index.html as a default.

Try changing the file to lowercase characters, and if that doesn't work change it to a .html extension as well.
    JavaScript: Learn | Validate | Compact | bionoid

Thanks bionoid,

Ok, a bit more info: There was already a file there called index.php which displayed the hosts page with my web address saying "coming soon... etc."

I deleted it then replaced it with a simple index.htm file to see if all was working - that's when the issue occurred. I also changed the extension to html, but that made no difference.

I also have sub-domains - perhaps this is causing the problem?

This is what I get:

Index of /

Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.6 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at www.stixstudios.com Port 80

Index of /

Index.htm
    cgi-bin/
    smartyfartyart.com/
    spleenainternational.com/
    thomsondeutscher.com/

Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.6 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at www.stixstudios.com Port 80
    Index.htm from the listing above is not all in lowercase.

resolved Resolved

Quote Originally Posted by bionoid View Post
    The name as well as the case is important to some webserver configurations.
    For example my webserver automatically looks for index.php or index.html as a default.

Try changing the file to lowercase characters, and if that doesn't work change it to a .html extension as well.
    Well, talk about stumbling at the first hurdle! I feel a bit silly. I suspect the problem was that as suggested, I had spelt 'Index' with a capital 'I' instead of lowercase. I also put a .htaccess file:
    Code:
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
    in the public_html root directory.

All Good.
    Cheers, Steve

Yeah, thanks bionoid - you are correct. But you wouldn't know that until you read my last post (and this one) which are lagging by approx. 24hrs.
    How many posts, do new members have to post, before that are posted straight away? (sung to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind") this is really p*ssing me off because it takes about 2 days from my initial post before my next reply is seen.
    Please don't reply... "The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind"...

I telling you solution of your problems. Go to the any website and check their redirect their code then copy and add in your websites. Sometime your doing errors but don't understand where is wrong so copy and past best way.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsansami View Post
    I telling you solution of your problems. Go to the any website and check their redirect their code then copy and add in your websites. Sometime your doing errors but don't understand where is wrong so copy and past best way.
    Thanks ahsansami, but I would prefer to understand the problem and learn from it, than simply copy & paste. Also, there is the possibility that you could copy & paste someone else's screw-up

Otherwise, I would just use one of the basic templates that my hosting site offers . But my objective is to learn web development to a competent enough level to hopefully make it my new career.

Steve.

I agree. Make mistakes, and learn from them.

Good luck.

Thread Information