dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting a domain name.

Getting a domain name.

I really want a domain name that i found but it is taken, i found out that the domain expires on April 2nd, 2014 and was registered on April 2nd, 2005, it tells me that it is inactive but was last updated on March 14th, 2013.

All that i found using http://www.who.is/

I'm very new to this, so what is the best thing to do. I'm currently a student so waiting until that time will guarantee me a domain name without spending extra cash? Please help

People often buy domain names and only have them for email purposes, some have them so that they can resell.

Some companies will register a domain and keep it a number of years, drop it for a year, pick it up again, who knows.

One thing I can tell you is that a domain name can not be snapped up when it expires, the person that owned it has 365 days from expiry date to acquire that name again, so that means that the domain expires on 2/4/14, it is then 2/4/15 until it can be made available for general sale.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thanks very useful info, i guess im better trying to contact them

I want to echo the comments. The best way to check on a domain's availability that is owned is to contact the owner. While a site shows an expiration date, many sites are on 'auto renew' plans that simply pay for a new year when it gets close to the current one expiring. As such, the site you are looking at might never become available. I've got domains I've owned for over a decade that don't have sites associated to them. Some day they might....

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    One thing I can tell you is that a domain name can not be snapped up when it expires, the person that owned it has 365 days from expiry date to acquire that name again, so that means that the domain expires on 2/4/14, it is then 2/4/15 until it can be made available for general sale.
    Simply not true:
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...n-names-expire
    http://techknowledgyblog.squarespace...es-expire.html

It's possible some registrar has that 1-year policy, but it's by no means universal.

From personal experience I had a domain name expire in December 2012 and let it go. Then I had a reason to own it again, looked it up and it was available ... in September 2013, 10-ish months later. And by available I mean with a different registrar, without the search knowing that I had "owned" the name before.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I've got domains I've owned for over a decade that don't have sites associated to them. Some day they might....
    Hence my expired and reregistered domain name. It was "someday".
    Last edited by Kevin2; 01-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OSG View Post
    , it tells me that it is inactive but was last updated on March 14th, 2013.
    This was when the domain was last updated, not the content.

Quote Originally Posted by OSG View Post

I'm very new to this, so what is the best thing to do. I'm currently a student so waiting until that time will guarantee me a domain name without spending extra cash? Please help
    It has been registered since 2005, I cant see them letting it go.

It depends on the registrar, ignore whoever said you have 365 days.. Some only allow 1 month.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I want to echo the comments. The best way to check on a domain's availability that is owned is to contact the owner. While a site shows an expiration date, many sites are on 'auto renew' plans that simply pay for a new year when it gets close to the current one expiring. As such, the site you are looking at might never become available. I've got domains I've owned for over a decade that don't have sites associated to them. Some day they might....
    thanks

I know there is an exception, when the domain because the infringement was asked to delete, the domain may be deleted before the expiration date.
    But few such cases,good lucky

Thread Information