www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How much to charge for web maintenance

How much to charge for web maintenance

I am creating a website for an attorney and now she is asking me about maintenance fees once it is finished. The site is really quite simple with mostly static pages. It has a JavaScript slideshow and a PHP contact form.

Anyway, I didn't charge a normal going rate since I am just now starting out and at this point, just want to get some work for experience as well as some sites to show off to others.

My question is this. How much should I charge for maintenance? Should it be a monthly fee or a one time charge each time I work on it?

I can't imagine there to be a huge amount of work once it's complete. Maybe some picture changes, updating info and things like that.

$25/hr, charged in 30 minute increments.

Monthly fees seems to be the latest trend (think Adobe CC). If you think updates will be minimal try charging a flat fee for example $50 a month. If in a particular month they ask you to do something complex and unusual then charge the hourly rate on top of the usual flat monthly fee. An attorney might think a flat fee is a great deal because he doesn't like surprises and doesn't want to do any of the work himself. Can't hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by kralcx View Post
    Monthly fees seems to be the latest trend (think Adobe CC). If you think updates will be minimal try charging a flat fee for example $50 a month. If in a particular month they ask you to do something complex and unusual then charge the hourly rate on top of the usual flat monthly fee. An attorney might think a flat fee is a great deal because he doesn't like surprises and doesn't want to do any of the work himself. Can't hurt to try.
    Why would she pay $50/month when she can go with someone like http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/websi...r.aspx?ci=9028 ?

Quote Originally Posted by zxed View Post
    Why would she pay $50/month when she can go with someone like http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/websi...r.aspx?ci=9028 ?
    What does godaddy have to do with website maintenance?

What does godaddy have to do with website maintenance?
    from the OP "site is really quite simple with mostly static pages. It has a JavaScript slideshow and a PHP contact form"

She could get the same (if not better) by using a godaddy product for $4.99/mo; hell, even he could just sign up for that, save time, and charge her whatever he is charging her. The website maintenance is "content changes" and if she wasn't going through him.. she could have signed up for it herself if she knew what it was.

That's what godaddy has to do with website maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by zxed View Post
    from the OP "site is really quite simple with mostly static pages. It has a JavaScript slideshow and a PHP contact form"

She could get the same (if not better) by using a godaddy product for $4.99/mo; hell, even he could just sign up for that, save time, and charge her whatever he is charging her. The website maintenance is "content changes" and if she wasn't going through him.. she could have signed up for it herself if she knew what it was.

That's what godaddy has to do with website maintenance.
    basically you're talking about a CMS which the OP client isn't interested in. Many professionals don't want to be bothered with doing it themselves that's why they are willing to pay maintenance fees and have a webmaster do it for them.

basically you're talking about a CMS which the OP client isn't interested in. Many professionals don't want to be bothered with doing it themselves that's why they are willing to pay maintenance fees and have a webmaster do it for them.
    Sure....

Monthy charges can be a pretty good thing, it all the depends on the standard of criteria.

Thread Information