dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Will Joomla and other CMS make the web designer useless?

Exclamation Will Joomla and other CMS make the web designer useless?

Is it convenient to study html, css, javascritp, php etc.. technologies considering that with CMS everyone can make websites without any knowledge?
    The web designer figure will be supplanted and there are no work future fot them?

There will always be work for people who can code, but the days are long gone where you can make great money.

I'll say that a bit differently. There are still a large need and good jobs for people who can code, both server-side and client-side. There is also a decent market for people with good design skills and training (including user interface and usability issues). However, if you're just talking about throwing a basic web site together for local restaurants and garage/basement businesses (which never paid all that well to begin with), then I suspect that may be a dying market.

But Twitter, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube, etc. were not built with a CMS, so there will always be room for "real" coders.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    I'll say that a bit differently. There are still a large need and good jobs for people who can code, both server-side and client-side. There is also a decent market for people with good design skills and training (including user interface and usability issues). However, if you're just talking about throwing a basic web site together for local restaurants and garage/basement businesses (which never paid all that well to begin with), then I suspect that may be a dying market.

But Twitter, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube, etc. were not built with a CMS, so there will always be room for "real" coders.
    sure, but how many client asks for a big site lake those? Most of the work are for local resutant and small enterprises. Who ask for made a new facebook or a new youtube?
    In your country (USA?) exists agencies that make people to work on website with a constant job? I'm from Italy, and there are a lot of web agencies, but i don't know how many project they have in hands..

Well, I'm just one of several programmers working for one small company (a bit over 100 people) that has one main web site plus a couple smaller related web sites in our particular specialty, plus we provide similar web applications for other companies that want similar features on their web sites.

I tried working for a little while as a solo freelancer, and found that's not for me: besides doing the actual technical work, you have to do sales (finding customers and convincing them they should pay you for services), accounts receivable (getting them to pay you), and everything else it takes to actually make some money at that, all the while competing with 3rd-world sweat shops and 14-year-olds who think making a couple hundred dollars is a big deal.

Now I mostly concentrate on doing what I do best (server-side and database stuff), while we have people who just do sales, contract management, accounting, etc. So unless you are really driven to be self-employed and can make yourself work hard and long hours to find clients and satisfy them in a timely manner, I'd recommend getting really good technically and find a nice start-up that will hire you to work a "regular" job.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

And your company receive requests of jobs, or such i suspect, the CMS are killing the market?
    Anyway a don't wont be a freelancer for same reason you exposed, so i hope to collaborate with an agency

Thread Information