dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How should a nonprofit hire a web developer for website redesign?

How should a nonprofit hire a web developer for website redesign?

Hi all,

Our nonprofit has a ~$20,000 budget to spend on a web coder for our new website. We're reevaluating our content and developing our rough wireframes/design in-house. We prefer the web dev to be in the D.C. area.

We know that we want the website to be hosted on Wordpress (it currently is not) and that we want to have a mobile responsive design as well. We want to sit down with the web dev and explain to them our vision for the site as well as our ideas for what we want it to look like, but are very open to the designs changing if necessary. We'd probably want to keep them on for a little while longer for tweaks after the website launch as well.

Unfortunately, this whole thing is giving us quite a headache because though we have a few ideas of where to advertise we have no idea what specifics to include the job listing. We've heard that we should go for offering an hourly rate rather than lump sum--but of how much? In short, we don't really know what to put in the advertisement and it's really slowing us down.

Should we just try and work with a shop/group? We were badly burned (spent a lot of money on a lot of nothing) with one company recently and we're kind of hesitant about going down that route again (for budget reasons as well).

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Maybe there are some web development users' groups in your area that have meet-and-greets where you could personally get to know some likely candidates and get a feel for their expectations, the sort of info they need and which they can give you, and so forth?

Also, unless there is some overriding technical reason for using WordPress, I would not make that a requirement, but instead a suggestion as the sort of approach you're thinking of. A good candidate might know enough about some other CMS platforms to realize that your business requirements may better be served by one of those alternatives, instead.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Do you have friends, family members, distant relatives that work for companies that have web sites? If so, ask them who they used to build their sites.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

You might also look through what bid ranges are being given for site requirements you like on sites like http://freelancer.com/ . You also can check the bidders' qualifications. Properly done, you will have protection through the site itself.

Hi

Why you want to hire developer in D.C. ? I can provide you good service from here. I'm working with many USA based clients.

Kindly discuss with me requirement. My email id is vipin@brsoftech.com

Thanks
    Vipin Kumar

If you would like to work with a local company then you can Google web design companies in the DC area. Take a look through their portfolios, read some of their blog posts, get a feel for who they are and what they've done. Find 2 or 3 that you like and get a preliminary meeting with them to find out if you'd like to work with them. If you think they'd be a good fit, ask for a proposal and references that you can call.

I agree with NogDog - unless there is a really good reason, don't make WordPress a requirement. You could find a great company that you really like that uses a different CMS or has their own CMS (our company has built our own).

Don't be afraid to share your budget range, it will help the company provide a proposal or plan that is suited to your budget, instead of guessing.

I would definitely recommend a company over a single person/freelancer. If your single person gets a full-time job, goes on a trip, etc, you're left hanging. With a company you have a more diverse skill set to draw from, and if one person leaves there are others to pick up the slack. In the long term a company will serve you much better than a single person in most cases. We have picked up the pieces from half-done freelancer projects many times.

If you're ok with working with a company outside of your area, you can check out our portfolio: www.boxclever.ca

Good luck with the project!

I've seen many nonprofit website home pages that look perfectly lovely,

Hire a freelance developer for you, ask him to meet you in general to requirement gathering, you can find freelancers on freelance websites online even in your areas as well, you can mention there that you want to meet them in real because you want to discuss your website structure with them in real meeting.

Web Design Dubai

Thread Information