www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Best practice for font sizing

Best practice for font sizing

Can someone tell me what the best practice is for sizing fonts and making them bigger
    A line of example code would be great

And it would be great of what 'looks' good
    OK... that might be down to the viewer - but I was guessing that there might be fonts or specific sizes that look better?

Thanks

OM

anyone...?

I'm no expert on fonts, but I know the basics. The reason you haven't gotten an answer is probably that your question is so general that its difficult to answer.

On a good day, all modern fonts scale to the size selected by the application. But the reality is that some fonts generally look better in smaller sizes (I'd say light,thin,sans-serif) and some look better in larger sizes (heavier or serifs). Then there are subtle differences in the rendering software used by various applications (like browsers) that can have an impact on the appearance of the generated text.

So, overall, there's no 'best practice' other than to select a font that works well in the size(s) required.
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

Well OM2, rtrethewey is absolutely right, your question indeed is very general. Anyhow if you want to increase or decrease your font size you can simply do it in following way: Let say you want to increase the font-size of an paragraph:

<p style="font-size:20px">your content</p>

In place of 20 you can choose any number which suited the best for you. And what looks good it just depends upon your site structure. Just use Proper Heading tags at correct places, use correct font-size for your text its as simple as that.

This code helps:

p
    {
    font-size: 1.5em;
    }

a
    {
    font-size: 1.5em;
    }

p a
    {
    font-size: 1em;
    }

em's are related to the parent font-size.

http://strad.in

Thread Information