dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Safe Unserialization

Question Safe Unserialization

Hi

As you might have heard about the Unserialization exploit , PHP 7 has overcome this issue but since it hasnt yet released, I was looking for an alternate way to implement the same in unseriallization.

Can someone please help me with the same.

The safest way is to use json_encode() when saving and json_decode() when loading.

If you're planning to trust the end user with a serialized blob, however, I'd also recommend looking into authenticated secret-key encryption. Libsodium is great; defuse/php-encryption is probably the easiest solution (we contribute significantly to it). I don't recommend a non-expert write their own OpenSSL wrapper, but if you think you can do better than Defuse Security or Paragon Initiative Enterprises, feel free.

So is there no way we can implement PHP 7's way to handle unserialize exploit?

Nothing is impossible. Create a function (e.g. safe_unserialize()) with identical behavior and presto, you have a safe unserialize().

I would recommend just waiting until PHP 7 is released. It won't be long now.

Yes that was my question, how do I implement the *identical behavior*?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom007 View Post
    Yes that was my question, how do I implement the *identical behavior*?
    https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/....c#L1013-L1068

Basically, reverse engineer the new feature by parsing the string manually. I didn't say it would be a cakewalk.

I am trying to use the `unserialize` function with the second param that was introduced in php7 (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.unserialize.php)
    However, it looks like php generates an error saying the second param should be an array and not a bool value https://3v4l.org/9PhpO

Does anyone have any idea why this behaviour?

I think (have never used it) you need to do:
    PHP Code:
    unserialize($foo, ['allowed_classes' => true]); 
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Thread Information