I have created a little bit of a messy database and I am debating on restructuring or, hopefully finding an easy solution here to work around it and just deal with it.

I have setup rows that look like this:

Code:
id | type | tech | name     | sold   | hours | report_id 
1  | 1    | 2354 | JOHN DOE | 224.23 | 11.5  | 9
2  | 2    | 2354 | INTERNAL |  98.45 | 4.8   | 9
3  | 2    | 2354 | CUSTOMER |  88.35 | 3.7   | 9
Basically, line 1 is a total of all data and every additional line is a subset of this information (type identifies if it is Total = 1 or Sale Type = 2 line..

i.e.
Line 1 = Is a total line because type = 1 so the name field is the name of the employee
Line 2 = Is type = 2 so is a subset of data which Identifies how much of John Doe's sales were of type=INTERNAL
Line 3 = Is type = 2 so is a subset of data which Identifies how much of John Doe's sales were of type=CUSTOMER

When I report on Total - it's easy - just grab the line where type = 1.

Problem is when I run a report on internal sales - Everything reports back fine EXCEPT the "name" - every staff members "name" is returning INTERNAL or CUSTOMER (which is to be expected)

What I want to do is somehow say (if the line type = 2 use name of matching tech

So when displaying INTERNAL sales, I see it is line type = 2 so grab the name WHERE line type = 1 AND tech = 2354...

Help? Here is what I started playing with but it returns all names (instead of matching tech = tech - is there a way to match this???)

Code:
SELECT id, 
	 type,
	 tech,
	 (SELECT name FROM ReportData WHERE report_id = 9 AND tech = tech AND line_type = '1') as "name",
	 sold_amt,
	 sold_hrs
FROM ReportData WHERE report_id = 9 AND name = "INTERNAL"
If I can't do it like this, I'll just make a separate call to retrieve the name line by line but am just trying to find the most efficient way of doing this...