www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Contact form spam

Contact form spam

Hi a contact form I have created has started getting strange spam. I call it strange because they don't add any hyperlinks, they aren't trying to sell anything and it's nothing offensive. All fields are correctly filled apart from the address field and telephone field which are filled with random sentences as is the enquiry field. I've googled some of the text and the same text appears as comments on Wordpress blogs so I think it's automated spam. Here's some text

You hold special plceas in our hearts too
    etc

Can anyone tell me what is the point of this spam? What are they trying to do?

Thanks
    Last edited by cannon303; 01-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.

No point other than they do it for various reasons, I would say that this type of spam is probing your form, what type of back end have you running this form? Do you blindly accept all POST fields or only use a whitelist of allowed fields?
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by cannon303 View Post
    Hi a contact form I have created has started getting strange spam. I call it strange because they don't add any hyperlinks, they aren't trying to sell anything and it's nothing offensive. All fields are correctly filled apart from the address field and telephone field which are filled with random sentences as is the enquiry field. I've googled some of the text and the same text appears as comments on Wordpress blogs so I think it's automated spam. Here's some text

etc

Can anyone tell me what is the point of this spam? What are they trying to do?

Thanks
    Add CAPTCHA to your site. That will help prevent this... I add CAPTCHA to all my contact forms.

yes i agree Web Design Phx answer, answer is a CAPTCHA, If you are getting an awful lot of spam, one method is to deploy Akismet.

Not sure about a white list, I do spam check for correct input, illegal characters, not exceeding certain character counts etc so that might be an added layer of security I could add. Thanks for the suggestion. CAPTCHA fields: I dropped them a few years ago as more than occasionally they would deny processing of legitimate mail. Is it reliable?

Spamming is the sending or adding of an unsolicited posts or content. Yes you can add captcha or random security questions.
    Last edited by Carlos Moulton; 01-09-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Moulton View Post
    Spamming is the sending or adding of an unsolicited posts or content. Yes you can add captcha or random security questions.
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom there Carlos.

I agree with carlos moulton, Spamming is the sending or adding of an unsolicited posts or content. Yes you can add captcha or random security questions.

Thread Information