dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help with terminology...objects, widgets, components?

Need help with terminology...objects, widgets, components?

I am new to HTML, JS but have an extensive background using Flash (sorry for my luck, right? ;-)
    Anyway, I am accustomed to developing "symbols" (Flash terminology for custom movie clips) which are then added to the project library and instantiated within a main movie. I am wondering if there is a similar concept in the HTML/JS world and what it might be termed?

For instance, I may want to have several boxes on a page, each with text, radio buttons, combo boxes, etc. but I do not want to have to retype all the code and JS. I want to create a stand alone "component" (maybe that is not the right term) that I can instantiate every time I need the custom "box" I have created. A library would contain the custom box and I would only need change in one place to affect all instantiations.

Does that make sense? If so, what is the terminology?

Look up Server Side Includes (SSI) or PHP Includes. Both are processed server-side before being "included" on the page sent to the user. Either should do what I think you're wanting.

Yeah, I think I know about SSI and PHP but I look upon the server as providing the client with data, not necessarily generating HTML and Javascript on the fly. I plan to keep the HTLM/JS mainly in a file on the server and having the SSI provide data to fill in the blanks. The "blanks" are the HTML form stuff (text, buttons, etc) that may be replicated as objects.

Still pondering....it will come to me, I just need to keep digging.

build the custom form with Flash ))

Quote Originally Posted by Padonak View Post
    build the custom form with Flash ))
    Good one, Padonak! I am starting to really appreciate (and miss) Flash. Darn that Steve Jobs anyway! ;-)

You should avoid flash where possible, it is not user friendly to screen readers (many people who visit sites now use screen readers, not just the visually impaired but normally sighted people who want their web pages read to them)

Flash is a proprietary item that requires a plugin to the browser, it is not native to the browser like JavaScript is.

With the release of HTML5, the market share of audio and video has been taken away from Flash by implementing in built support for audio and video.

HTML5 realizes other potentials as well that need to be considered.

If you use a combination of PHP to output your boiler plate code with modification to avoid replication of elements that have to be unique, it would be possible to re-use code that you write.

Only thing to do is get a few tutorials under your belt, understand how Server Sides work to produce client side pages and how javascript can be implemented as well as written by PHP for your purposes.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information