www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Change careers or add onto my degree? Advice please!

Change careers or add onto my degree? Advice please!

I'm 32 years old. My associates in web design went NOWHERE in Pittsburgh. It's 4 years old. I ended up doing freelance and basically having my boyfriend support me financially. So I've never had a "real" job, just freelance.

Things drastically changed in my life. I'm now a single mom of a one year old. Did I expect that to happen? Um, no. Now I'm stuck.. Do I choose to make a career change (even though technically I don't have a career!) or add onto the degree I already have. Like I said I have an associates in web design. In Pittsburgh, where I'm at, it seems web design/dev jobs are very limited. It's not looking good. It seems worse now than two years ago when I started giving up looking out of frustration. So I'm very leery to get a bachelors in the same field that failed me already. I have no plans on moving to a new city especially now that I'm (2 weeks in as) a single mom. I'm not sure if there's another degree I can get that might "look" good with an associates in web design to where I might have a better chance at changing careers using BOTH of the degrees (web design and whatever degree in the future). Then again, would it be best to take a deep breath and go a whole different route - being a paralegal or teacher (definitely not a dental assistant or a nurse, no no. haha) I don't want to spend a whole bunch of time in school. Another 2 year degree might be good, but not 4 years.

Anyone have opinions on the matter? I'm so clueless about this and confused.. I wish I knew what to do or if there were people to talk to about this issue at hand. But I need to do something, not only for myself but for my little boy.

Are there any users' groups in your area: web dev, PHP, anything else you have some skills/interest in? Unfortunately, the old adage, "It's not what you know, it's whom you know," is as true in this business as in any other. If you could attend such gatherings and get to know local people in the business, it can help a lot. When a current employee submits someone's resume for a job, it pops that applicant right to the top and gets them past those first (often clueless) HR screenings. As an additional benefit, if you attend those meetings, you'll likely learn some things, plus find out what the hot topics are that people there (and presumably their employers) might be interested in.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information