www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please help! Really struggling to find an answer..

Please help! Really struggling to find an answer..

Hi All

I am looking at creating my own website, but I need help with the following:

I want to be able to enter several records, sort of like contacts. Eg name, address, postcode, tel. number,etc + few other criteria
    These should be viewable by users of the website, but also searchable.
    Ideally they could do a search like: all results within 30 miles of (enter postcode here)

2 problems:
    1) I have no idea how to start!!!!
    2) Even if I did, I think the 'within x miles of postcode' will be an issue

Bit of info which may or may not help, I have registered with Godaddy and I am currently using their website builder. I have tried to do a bit of research and figure it out myself, all I'm seeing is SQLs and HTMLs and no idea what to do! So as you can tell my starting knowledge is pretty poor!! Given a set of instructions though, I should be able to follow (hopefully). Also, how much will all of this cost? Is it possible to do this for free?

Thanks to anyone who can help.......

It's certainly possible to do for free, it just depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put into it.

There are open-source zip-code/geographical databases out there that can be used for the distance stuff along with a DBMS that supports that sort of thing (such as MySQL), but it's probably not just a plug-and-play thing.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks for your reply,

Do you have any info. on how I can try to attempt this myself?

Also do you know about the licenses related to MySQL. If I put this database onto the website do I need to pay fees? If so, is there any other free alternatives?

As my knowledge is clearly very limited!!....would you advise me to pay somebody to set this up for me? How much should I be looking to pay if that's the case?

Any info. you have is much appreciated as I keep hitting a brick wall with this!

Thanks in advance

MySQL is free, as is PHP. If you do not have at least intermediate experience with both, it may well be worth your while (time is money, after all) to hire someone to install and configure things. Of course, the rub there is finding someone both with the ability and integrity so that you know you aren't just throwing money at it, and I can't really help you with that. (I'm a tech geek, not a savvy business person -- and no, I'm not for hire right now. )

And of course you could try googling around for some ready-made packages you download and install, but I can't point you at anything myself, as I've not had the "pleasure" of implementing any geo-location functionality anywhere, yet.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

If you want to post a project on freelancer.com, send the link my way and I'll apply for it.

Thanks for the help NogDog

Gray, does this sound like something you can do, or have done before?

I've never done anything with GPS coordinates before, but I definitely feel as though I would be able to do that.

If you are new in web development field then it will really be a tough task for you, cause it requires some sort of work experience, the other better choice is hire a developer who is competent enough to complete this work for you..

Thread Information