www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is there an upper limit to the size of a good website?

Hybrid View

Is there an upper limit to the size of a good website?

Is there a limit that one should not go over? What do you think should be the maximum size of a webpage's code (say, 500KB or so?) Note: I said webPAGE, not webSITE.

Code is usually not as much of an issue as images, but ultimately it's a factor of how many total bytes split across how many different http requests (i.e. different files), as each http request adds overhead to the process. Just for fun, check out: http://10k.aneventapart.com/
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

With mine, 51--49 images (some used by multiple img tags), 1 stylesheet and 1 script file.

But the raw HTML code of my page takes up some 401 KB.

If you enable compression, the text probably isn't any issue. I might look into whether or not you could use CSS sprites, where you combine separate images into one image file, then only use the part you need in a given usage (often done for things like corners and borders).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Interesting articles, but the images (which are colour samples) are all resized by CSS (with the sole exception of the webcounter).
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 01-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.

The answer to the question in the OP is: whatever is fit for purpose. E.g. A landing page needs to load almost instantly, or the user may navigate away. Whereas a page containing technical information which will only be accessed infrequently may take significantly longer to load.

Hm. Point--there is only one reason anyone would visit this particular page: to search for DragonSpeak commands (ssaid page is The Cross-Referenced Catalogue of DragonSpeak Lines

ySlow (Firefox extension to Firebug) gives it a grade of "B", which ain't bad.

eBookworm.us

good website because on page optimization and off page optimization.

Thread Information