dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need script that extract text parts from .txt file

Hybrid View

Need script that extract text parts from .txt file

I need a small script created on any kind of plattform I can use free of charge on a PC. The script could use regular expressions (egrep) or something similar to extract small pieces of information from .txt files, and put this info in a new comma separated .txt. Like this:

1. User put into script the number of iterations to loop (into the code). From A to B. The iterations is the same as the number of files to process.

2. In a set directory, the .txt files have prefixes [001_, 002_ etc]. Script loads the first file.

3. Script checks the FIRST row for a match of [ N], and extract the part between the before N and the previous on that row. (Example: 00 4430.7486 N 06417.4951 W). If no match, then script instead check on that FIRST row a match of [,N] and extract the part between the , before N and the previous , on that row. (Example: 0,4430.7483,"N",6417.4969,"W")

4. Script checks the FIRST row for a match of [ W], and extract the part between the before W and the previous on that row. (Example: 00 4430.7486 N 06417.4951 W). If no match, then script instead check on that FIRST row a match of [,W] and extract the part between the , before W and the previous , on that row. (Example: 0,4430.7483,"N",6417.4969,"W")

5. Script does the same thing as on 3 above, but for the LAST row in the current .txt file.

6. Script does the same thing as on 4 above, but for the LAST row in the current .txt file.

7. Script creates a new .txt file with: loop iteration number, Extraction in 3, Exctraction in 4, Extraction in 5, Extraction in 6. (Example: 001, 4413.7896, 6413.7896, 4412.1256, 6415.2223)

8. Script starts over with next iteration in loop, loads a new .txt file and write a new row in the created .txt file for each round.

Could someone help me with this ? It for a hobby project.

You can pretty easily install PHP or Python on a PC, and both languages have good regular expression support, or even JavaScript, I suppose. It would mostly depend on which you're most comfortable with, unless you're hoping to find some script that you can use "out of the box"?
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

As NogDog says, PHP or Python. I have no experience of Python other than installing it and following some examples but I know PHP could do exactly what you are asking.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    As NogDog says, PHP or Python. I have no experience of Python other than installing it and following some examples but I know PHP could do exactly what you are asking.
    Problem is I have no experience in programming. Zip to none. I just hoped someone could help me write that script.

Thanks for sharing good information,with us I strongly believe it is helpful for me as well as my forum friends...

Thread Information