www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New forum group

New forum group

It is after some time of observation that I see more and more posts requesting JavaScript help and the code supplied or when requested and then supplied is nothing more than JQuery.

Personally I don't like JQuery, so we will get that one out the way, however it is annoying to constantly see posts asking for help about needing some assistance and people referring to the JQuery as JavaScript. Yes I am aware that JQuery is written in JavaScript but it is not JavaScript period, that would be like calling a rails framework PHP.

It is about time that Web Developer separated off this branch of site development scripting in to its own forum that has sub forums for other site frameworks like mootools, prototype, node.js, etc and leave the JavaScript forum open for JavaScript purists to answer real JavaScript questions about programming.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Sent Brad an email to check out your request..

Asking for Input:

Should we create a separate jQuery forum as it is a big topic in itself, or should we simply add a prefix to the forum for javascript, jScript, other ?

Anyone have an opinion?

Well as you know, JQuery help requests are swamping JavaScript requests and having a prefix isn't helping because people are either not using them or not aware of them where as a separate frameworks forum(s) would be a help.

Some of the popular frameworks are JQuery, Node.js, Prototype, Mootools, PHP.js and AJAX among the top ones I know of and a new one that used HTML5's capabilities called PDF.js to make PDF files (I guess).

The number of frameworks is growing and diversifying in to that area with a frameworks forum and subset of individual forums for those specific tools would IMHO be an asset and also keep the JavaScript forum clear for pure JavaScript based queries.

At the moment it is hit and miss if the query a person posts is JavaScript or not.

A single framework forum with prefixes may work, but then again it may not because people are not using prefixes when posting.

Maybe it would take the site code to be modified to make a person select a prefix.

Question is which is easier, set up another forum or modify the base code?
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

I added the new forum. For the frameworks forum, you have to select a prefix in order to post. There is an "other" option though.

Brad!

So far the hordes are not exactly flocking to it.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

It seems to me that a significant percentage of queries get put in the wrong forum anyway. So I suspect the distinction between JS and frameworks, whilst wholly valid, is unlikely to work in practice. Was the new forum set up too hastily?

If it doesn't work, we can always merge it back together. (in this case) I'm willing to adjust the forums to what you guys believe will work. I'm open to suggestions.

We will always have a certain number of people who post to the wrong forums. We can use moderators to help with that if needed.

Are you looking for moderators? If so I'd be willing to lend a hand...

Thread Information